Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Expanding a 2 gang box to 3

On Tue, 07 Jul 2020 14:49:07 -0400, micky posted for all of us
to digest...

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 7 Jul 2020 06:05:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

Why not just put another single box above or beside the box that is
there now?

Do they make a wallplate for that? IDK

--
Tekkie