Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expanding a 2 gang box to 3

On Thu, 09 Jul 2020 13:50:57 -0500, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Thu, 9 Jul 2020 10:26:09 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Tuesday, July 7, 2020 at 8:05:58 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have 2 gang box and I need to expand it to 3 gang.
Looked at several videos on U-tube and others, but they all suggest removing the existing box and replacing it with 3 gang plastic.
Don't like to use plastic because the threads strip to easily.
I thought the industry made it simple to add another gang to the existing older gang-able romex style steel boxes ?

The existing boxes are probably something close to this:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Steel-Ci...-25R/202597292

The building is 40 years old. The boxes are gang-able, but how do gang and extra w/o removing the old ?

Thanks

I looked at the Arlington stuff, what I saw was plastic or vinyl. Its a pain when the threads strip out of the plastic stuff.

I've never seen stripped threads on a plastic box. Are you improperly using
an impact driver?

When I see them stripped, guys usually just tap them out to a #8 (or a
drywall screw)