Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help replacing outside hose valve

Hi, an outside hose valve is leaking, i have replaced the washers, but that didnt fix it, I want to replace all the parts that I have circled in the image. But I'm having no luck finding exactly what I need. Is it more common to replace the entire valve in the image rather than just the parts that connect to the top of the valve?
If its possible to replace the parts I have circled, does anyone know how to shop for the right parts? Thanks

https://imgur.com/3UFmbFk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2020 7:07 PM, wrote:
Hi, an outside hose valve is leaking, i have replaced the washers, but that didnt fix it, I want to replace all the parts that I have circled in the image. But I'm having no luck finding exactly what I need. Is it more common to replace the entire valve in the image rather than just the parts that connect to the top of the valve?
If its possible to replace the parts I have circled, does anyone know how to shop for the right parts? Thanks

https://imgur.com/3UFmbFk

Where is it leaking? Won't shut off or water coming out the stem. You
probably need packing if it is the stem. If not shutting off, a washer
usually fixes it but the seat can wear over time.

Sometimes it is easier to just replace the valve.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 20:55:15 -0400, Clare Snyder posted for all
of us to digest...

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 16:07:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi, an outside hose valve is leaking, i have replaced the washers, but that didnt fix it, I want to replace all the parts that I have circled in the image. But I'm having no luck finding exactly what I need. Is it more common to replace the entire valve in the image rather than just the parts that connect to the top of the valve?
If its possible to replace the parts I have circled, does anyone know how to shop for the right parts? Thanks

https://imgur.com/3UFmbFk

Replace the whole thing and if you are in a frost zone use a
freezeproof "Hydrant" style

+1 To OP: Where is it leaking? Are you in a frost area? I have
never seen the clamp arrangement.

Let us know what you are going to do and it's resolution.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 15:11:09 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

[...]

The clamp looks like it might be for a ground wire -
.... not sure what outside device would require such a thing .. ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2020 2:11 PM, Tekkie� wrote:

+1 To OP: Where is it leaking? Are you in a frost area? I have
never seen the clamp arrangement.

That's just a ground wire clamp; nothing to do with the hydrant.

You can see the ground wire tacked to the foundation wall going down
behind...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/24/2020 6:07 PM, wrote:
Hi, an outside hose valve is leaking, i have replaced the washers, but that didnt fix it, I want to replace all the parts that I have circled in the image. But I'm having no luck finding exactly what I need. Is it more common to replace the entire valve in the image rather than just the parts that connect to the top of the valve?
If its possible to replace the parts I have circled, does anyone know how to shop for the right parts? Thanks

https://imgur.com/3UFmbFk

You don't need any new metal parts; just some small packing for the stem
and washers.

If the seat isn't badly corroded or eroded, shouldn't be much problem.

You can just pull the stem bonnet screw off and wrap some packing around
it and it'll hold for years...just did an old spigot out at the garden
the other day--didn't even take turning off the water to back off enough
with stem still in closed position.

Some small diameter 1/16" or so packing material is the ideal for
such...you can cut off an inch or so and work it in until have enough
when compress the nut back...

There may (or may not) have been an actual packing washer originally and
you may/may not find one of the proper size but the loose packing will
work just fine and doesn't need to be the exact mate for an original
which is the trick for these old faucets.

Since it's obviously been there for years and hasn't split/frozen yet,
there's no need replacing for that reason.

Posted to alt.home.repair

OP here. I live in the North East, since someone asked.

dpb, what do you mean by packing? Is packing that white tape-line material you see on some shower heads where it screws into the pipe? Does it go into the treads?
Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Definitely a grounding or bonding clamp
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/25/2020 3:24 PM, dpb wrote:

You can just pull the stem bonnet screw off and wrap some packing around
it and it'll hold for years...just did an old spigot out at the garden
the other day--didn't even take turning off the water to back off enough
with stem still in closed position.

Actually, not that I think of it; what I actually did was to leave the
outlet hose which supplies the garden drip system from the spigot in
place and turned the water on fully to lengthen the stem distance above
the bonnet.

Then I was able to unscrew the bonnet sufficiently to insert the packing
and retighten...there was some leaking around the stem while doing so,
of course, but not enough so couldn't manage. Obviously, turning off
the water supply lets you do it dry, but I was too lazy to walk all the
way to the well house and there is no isolation here for this section
except to the entire supply at the pressure tank outlet and the cattle
were at the water tanks at the time so didn't want to cut it off...

Anyway, it's not a difficult exercise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yup that is a relic from a bygone era when you could attach your
ground electrode conductor to any convenient cold water pipe. I think
that went away in the 80s when plastic pipe started being used more
often. I know it was still legal in the 75 code and I never researched
it further.