Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Need help replacing outside hose valve

On 6/24/2020 6:07 PM, wrote:
Hi, an outside hose valve is leaking, i have replaced the washers, but that didnt fix it, I want to replace all the parts that I have circled in the image. But I'm having no luck finding exactly what I need. Is it more common to replace the entire valve in the image rather than just the parts that connect to the top of the valve?
If its possible to replace the parts I have circled, does anyone know how to shop for the right parts? Thanks

https://imgur.com/3UFmbFk

You don't need any new metal parts; just some small packing for the stem
and washers.

If the seat isn't badly corroded or eroded, shouldn't be much problem.

You can just pull the stem bonnet screw off and wrap some packing around
it and it'll hold for years...just did an old spigot out at the garden
the other day--didn't even take turning off the water to back off enough
with stem still in closed position.

Some small diameter 1/16" or so packing material is the ideal for
such...you can cut off an inch or so and work it in until have enough
when compress the nut back...

There may (or may not) have been an actual packing washer originally and
you may/may not find one of the proper size but the loose packing will
work just fine and doesn't need to be the exact mate for an original
which is the trick for these old faucets.

Since it's obviously been there for years and hasn't split/frozen yet,
there's no need replacing for that reason.