Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Need help replacing outside hose valve

On 6/25/2020 3:24 PM, dpb wrote:

You can just pull the stem bonnet screw off and wrap some packing around
it and it'll hold for years...just did an old spigot out at the garden
the other day--didn't even take turning off the water to back off enough
with stem still in closed position.

Actually, not that I think of it; what I actually did was to leave the
outlet hose which supplies the garden drip system from the spigot in
place and turned the water on fully to lengthen the stem distance above
the bonnet.

Then I was able to unscrew the bonnet sufficiently to insert the packing
and retighten...there was some leaking around the stem while doing so,
of course, but not enough so couldn't manage. Obviously, turning off
the water supply lets you do it dry, but I was too lazy to walk all the
way to the well house and there is no isolation here for this section
except to the entire supply at the pressure tank outlet and the cattle
were at the water tanks at the time so didn't want to cut it off...

Anyway, it's not a difficult exercise.