Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Keep water out of air compressor tank

Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 10:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure , don't use it . Have you considered an automatic drain ? They
make 2 types I think , one uses a float to lift a needle valve , the
other is a timed device that just blows off at a set time .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 11:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, chill the air to get the water out of it. You can build a box and
use a large room air conditioner. Can probably do it for less than
$1000 and a setup about the size of a refrigerator. Oh, on cool days
you will have to heat the air first, then cool it.

Get a proper drain setup on the compressor. There are automatic valves
available.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 2:37:48 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/3/2020 11:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, chill the air to get the water out of it. You can build a box and
use a large room air conditioner. Can probably do it for less than
$1000 and a setup about the size of a refrigerator. Oh, on cool days
you will have to heat the air first, then cool it.

Get a proper drain setup on the compressor. There are automatic valves
available.

You must be joking.

I could pay someone far less that what you are proposing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:07:33 AM UTC-5, Snag wrote:
On 6/3/2020 10:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure , don't use it . Have you considered an automatic drain ? They
make 2 types I think , one uses a float to lift a needle valve , the
other is a timed device that just blows off at a set time .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crotchety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

Thanks for a good solution but ...

I looked at the automatic drains. Rather expensive.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 9:19:28 PM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 2:31:23 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 12:40:25 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Nothing that is reasonable. The water comes from the moisture in the
air and when it is compressed the water comes out. You will get more on
the humid days. You could move to the areas of the country where the
air is dry .

when I worked in a factory we installed an air dryer upstream of the air compressors.

Pneumatic cylinders don't really like water, but pneumatic controls fail immediately.

What do you think about this?

https://www.harborfreight.com/1-3-hp...sor-97080.html

It's light enuf to be easily carried around. Should drain water quickly?

I only want to use for airing up my bike and as an air blower.

Andy

How hard would it be for a manufacture to make the inside of the tank rust proof?

Surely the cost would not be that much more.

I guess their aim is to shorten a products life. :-)

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 11:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, chill the air to get the water out of it. You can build a box and
use a large room air conditioner. Can probably do it for less than
$1000 and a setup about the size of a refrigerator. Oh, on cool days
you will have to heat the air first, then cool it.

Get a proper drain setup on the compressor. There are automatic valves
available.

You must be joking.

I could pay someone far less that what you are proposing.

No, I'm not joking. You really have to do some work to remove the
moisture from air that is going to be compressed. That is why air tanks
have drain valves. Much easier.

Can't change the laws of physics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/3/2020 11:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, chill the air to get the water out of it. You can build a box and
use a large room air conditioner. Can probably do it for less than
$1000 and a setup about the size of a refrigerator. Oh, on cool days
you will have to heat the air first, then cool it.

Get a proper drain setup on the compressor. There are automatic valves
available.

You must be joking.

I could pay someone far less that what you are proposing.

No, I'm not joking. You really have to do some work to remove the
moisture from air that is going to be compressed. That is why air tanks
have drain valves. Much easier.

Can't change the laws of physics.

I agree it would take a lot of work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:46:47 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I could pay someone far less that what you are proposing.

No, I'm not joking. You really have to do some work to remove the
moisture from air that is going to be compressed. That is why air tanks
have drain valves. Much easier.

Can't change the laws of physics.

It is easier as you say but an air dryer that chills the air to remove water first is the standard commercial practice.

You should try having to blow out the lines in a 4 story building that has pneumatic controls, when every thermostat and VAV stops working. Now that we mostly have DDC a lot of that goes away but there are still a lot of very sensitive pieces of equipment out there that can't handle water.

Might want to check with the airgun shooters. Those using precharged have compressors for pumping up their guns.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:49:27 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

You don't have to drain it everytime, just occasionally. I'm not sure that
draining it every time buys you anything at all. When the air gets
compressed moisture, water is going to wind up in the tank. Even if
you drain it after every use, the inside will be still be wet, won't
dry out and that leads to rust, which eventually causes it to fail.
The good thing is the eventually is a very long time. I have an old
Sears one that started to rust out, it's from the 60s. Maybe new ones
rust out faster, IDK. But from all that I see and know, I don't think
draining it every time is going to make much, if any, difference. I would
think the water left from 6 months of using it or the water left after
you drain most of it out after each use would probably still rust it out
about the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 8:46:56 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Should have added, the above Sears, I didn't drain it even once a year.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:46:56 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

That might be.

But the horror stories of a tank blowing up is hard to purge from my mind. :-)

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 10:01:24 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
[...]

I found this.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VI RE

Looks like the worst that can happen is your tank will start leaking.

And the compressor in the video looks like 20 yrs+.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/4/2020 8:06 AM, Andy wrote:
[...]

I got a used 80 gallon compressor tank once and wondered how safe it
was. I called up the inspectors office for "boilers and tanks" or
something like that. I talked to an inspector, who quickly offered to
come check it out (for free!). He had an ultrasonic measuring device
which quickly told him that everywhere he scanned on the tank was fine.
The tool measure the thickness of the solid metal.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jun 2020 15:37:43 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 6/3/2020 11:49 AM, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

Sure, chill the air to get the water out of it. You can build a box and
use a large room air conditioner. Can probably do it for less than
$1000 and a setup about the size of a refrigerator. Oh, on cool days
you will have to heat the air first, then cool it.

Get a proper drain setup on the compressor. There are automatic valves
available.

I hate to say it but I drain the water from my compressor every year or
two, if I remember. I'm guessing that's less often than what's recommended.
My older, smaller, Wally world compressor is nearly 20 years old and hasn't
been drained yet. It's probably ready to rust through.