Posted to alt.home.repair
Andy[_35_] Andy[_35_] is offline

Default Keep water out of air compressor tank

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:02:38 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 6/4/2020 8:06 AM, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 10:01:24 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 7:46:56 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, June 3, 2020 at 11:49:27 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
Is there anything to keep water out of an air compressor tank?

It's a real pain to drain it everytime.

Thanks,
Andy

You don't have to drain it everytime, just occasionally. I'm not sure that
draining it every time buys you anything at all. When the air gets
compressed moisture, water is going to wind up in the tank. Even if
you drain it after every use, the inside will be still be wet, won't
dry out and that leads to rust, which eventually causes it to fail.
The good thing is the eventually is a very long time. I have an old
Sears one that started to rust out, it's from the 60s. Maybe new ones
rust out faster, IDK. But from all that I see and know, I don't think
draining it every time is going to make much, if any, difference. I would
think the water left from 6 months of using it or the water left after
you drain most of it out after each use would probably still rust it out
about the same.

That might be.

But the horror stories of a tank blowing up is hard to purge from my mind. :-)

Andy

I found this.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VI RE

Looks like the worst that can happen is your tank will start leaking.

And the compressor in the video looks like 20 yrs+.

Andy

I got a used 80 gallon compressor tank once and wondered how safe it
was. I called up the inspectors office for "boilers and tanks" or
something like that. I talked to an inspector, who quickly offered to
come check it out (for free!). He had an ultrasonic measuring device
which quickly told him that everywhere he scanned on the tank was fine.
The tool measure the thickness of the solid metal.

That's pretty neat.