Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flipping a car

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:56:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop

When I rolled my Jeep it ended up on the roof. The wrecker got it back
on the wheels and I drove it home.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/2020 11:04 PM, wrote:
[...]

When my wife flipped the Mazda SUV on it's side in the ice storm* it
got left layin' on it's side in the ditch for like 36 hours until the
**** melted . We were advised it might be a good idea to let it sit
upright for a few hours before we started it to let fluids drain back to
where they belonged .
* This was one hellkitty of an ice storm , it blew in freezing rain
onto already frozen ground . There was a glaze of clear ice about
1/4"-1/2" thick that was so slick you couldn't stand up on it . She made
it to a half mile from our turn before it got her .
--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 May 2020 23:56:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down. Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down. Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

Yeah, that's why some have roll bars.

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 17 May 2020 00:04:20 -0400, wrote:

[...]

When I snapped the shift fork in the transmission of my '49 VW in
Zambia I took the wheels off one side and using a fence post I teipped
it up on it's side so I could pull the nose off the transmission.
After walking 8km or so each way to the school shop to weld it I put
it back together and flipped it back onto it's wheels - by myself -
then pulled the plugs from the "down" side, cranked it over to blow
the oil out, put the plugs back in and killed all the mosquitos for
about 4 blocks.

My former partner in the airplane project flipped his diesel 4Runner
right over on it's roof in a ditch. It sat upside-down for several
hours. After being righted and towed home about 48 hours later the
engine could still not be cranked by hand - the intake was full of oil
too. Had to pull the injectors and using a suction gun suck all the
oil out of the intake then crank it over for about 20 seconds . When
the injectors were re-installed and the engine started it smoked for
almost half an hour. Had to re-fill the automatic trans, power
steering, and brake fluid too - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sun, 17 May 2020 14:46:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/16/20 10:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels.Â* Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it.Â* It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck.Â* Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going.Â* He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop

That's a good show. They were trying to find a woman who was
selling her baby at one place. I didn't see how that came out.
So many of those characters try to outfight, outrun, or out smart the
cops. A criminal has X amount of time to do what ever. The cops have
years on their side plus a lot more people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down. Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

My Porsche convertible had a roll bar in the back that would automatically
deploy in the event of a rollover. I would think all convertibles would
have those.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2020 8:37 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* That's a good show.Â*Â* They were trying to find a woman who was
selling her baby at one place.Â* I didn't see how that came out.
Â* So many of those characters try to outfight, outrun, or out smart the
cops.Â* A criminal has X amount of time to do what ever.Â*Â* The cops have
years on their side plus a lot more people.

I don't think is was ever resolved but was mentioned the following week.
crazy how people run, crash their car, get bit by dogs and the cop says
"I was just going to give you a warning"

Friday night as they went off the air police were chasing an ATV with
two small kids on the back. They broke it off. Next night they showed
what happened. Viewer call the police and told them who it was. They
were at his house when he pulled in. Again, instead of a warning he was
arrested.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
[...]

But it isnt that hard to disappear off the radar forever.

Vast numbers of people go missing forever.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 18 May 2020 05:13:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
John addressing the senile Australian pest:
"You are a complete idiot. But you make me larf. LOL"
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down. Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

Is it safer than going to a barber?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/5/20 3:49 pm, Clare Snyder wrote:
[...]

Surely brake fluid reservoirs had sealed caps by the era of the 4Runner?
after all, they date only from 1984. In this country, the sealed cap
with a flexible bellows feature was well entrenched by ADR law at the
beginning of the 70s.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels.Â* Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it.Â* It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck.Â* Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going.Â* He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down.Â* Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

Yeah, that's why some have roll bars.

It's why I would never own a soft top. Even with a roll bar, the risks
of injury are very high.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I recall an accident at the Lime Rock racetrack. It was a SCCA
sanctioned even and the car had the requisite roll bar. It doesn't do
you much good when you wind upside down with a large anthill filling the
cockpit.

I got the roadster thing out of my system early. It was fun but if I
want fresh air I have the motorcycles. If I want creature comfort in
inclement weather I'll take something with a roof, roll up windows, and
a working heater.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, the windscreen and side doors are never going to be
a strong as on a conventional car. And even with a roll bar,
demolishing a tree when the car is upside down isnt going
to leave just a few scratches either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 12:23:31 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

[...]

The brakes required bleeding to get a firm pedal - they were solid
before it rolled. I guess somehow air went "up" through the master-
the front disk brakes went soft anyway. (it was a JDM Hilux SURF - the
Japanese version of the 4Runner - Right hand drive turbo diesel)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

But there's NOTHING like cruising the back country roads in a '53 MG
TD - particularly when it's got the grunt of an MGB engine instead of
the anemic XPAG - and a full syncro gear box too.
C of G low enough you'd REALLY have to do something stupid to get the
greasy side up.I've "Baby sat" the MG for 3 summers - and the Fiat
cinquo for 2.
Almost as good as a Lotus 7.

When I need heat and comfort the Sorento fills the bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2020 10:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

I got the roadster thing out of my system early. It was fun but if I
want fresh air I have the motorcycles. If I want creature comfort in
inclement weather I'll take something with a roof, roll up windows, and
a working heater.

Had a couple along the way. As I got older, maybe 10 days a year it is
top down weather. Modern climate control is comfy year 'round.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It seems like most people go their whole life without rolling a vehicle.
I've rolled only one as a driver, one as a passenger, and as a passenger
I've been in at least 4 vehicles that went up on two wheels before coming
back down, but I think most people haven't had similar experiences.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 13:09:15 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
his particular prowess at it every day."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2020 09:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
But there's NOTHING like cruising the back country roads in a '53 MG
TD - particularly when it's got the grunt of an MGB engine instead of
the anemic XPAG - and a full syncro gear box too.
C of G low enough you'd REALLY have to do something stupid to get the
greasy side up.I've "Baby sat" the MG for 3 summers - and the Fiat
cinquo for 2.

There's a scary thought. iirc to stop a TD you dragged a foot on the
ground. The car isn't meant to exceed 75 although it is good looking.

They had a more or less real convertible top, didn't they? I had a
Sprite where you assembled the top from pieces kept in the boot. You got
wet a lot.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2020 10:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2020 10:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

I got the roadster thing out of my system early. It was fun but if I
want fresh air I have the motorcycles. If I want creature comfort in
inclement weather I'll take something with a roof, roll up windows,
and a working heater.

Had a couple along the way. As I got older, maybe 10 days a year it is
top down weather. Modern climate control is comfy year 'round.

I briefly considered a Miata. I'm spoiled though and didn't think i
could live with something that has less luggage capacity than my
Sportster. The other problem is we have more unpaved roads than paved
and some of them are pretty rough.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 08:03:57 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/18/2020 09:49 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
But there's NOTHING like cruising the back country roads in a '53 MG
TD - particularly when it's got the grunt of an MGB engine instead of
the anemic XPAG - and a full syncro gear box too.
C of G low enough you'd REALLY have to do something stupid to get the
greasy side up.I've "Baby sat" the MG for 3 summers - and the Fiat
cinquo for 2.

There's a scary thought. iirc to stop a TD you dragged a foot on the
ground. The car isn't meant to exceed 75 although it is good looking.

You can have one HELL of a lot of fun under 75MPH - and with the B
rear axle comes modern rear brakes - and even the original fronts
properly set up will lock the front wheels before the rear B brakes
lock. The narrow tires couldn't hold much more braking power, and at
about 2080 lbs as modified it gits, skits, and stops pretty good!!!

They had a more or less real convertible top, didn't they? I had a
Sprite where you assembled the top from pieces kept in the boot. You got
wet a lot.

Side curtains and a buggy top. This one has just a toneau and
brooklands screens. If it rains you get WET. The heater works pretty
good -but that just keeps you warm from about the knees down. There is
no "boot" on a TD either - the top folded down and stowed behind the
seats along with the side curtains. You got almost as wet with the top
as without.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 08:06:53 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/18/2020 10:01 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/18/2020 10:58 PM, rbowman wrote:

I got the roadster thing out of my system early. It was fun but if I
want fresh air I have the motorcycles. If I want creature comfort in
inclement weather I'll take something with a roof, roll up windows,
and a working heater.

Had a couple along the way. As I got older, maybe 10 days a year it is
top down weather. Modern climate control is comfy year 'round.

I briefly considered a Miata. I'm spoiled though and didn't think i
could live with something that has less luggage capacity than my
Sportster. The other problem is we have more unpaved roads than paved
and some of them are pretty rough.

Several friends have /have had Miatas. One raced his - super
lightweight with turbocharged engine. About 1575 or 1600lbs and well
north of 185HP. He absolutely killed vettes and boxters in "king of
the hill" That thing was SCARY quick. His dad went through about 3
over the years, and with the hardtop they are pretty snug. Basically
what the MGB should have become. Poor mans Z3 or H2000.
The newer ones got a bit too porky for my taste -- -
I drove Mini,Alpine, TR7 and MGB in years gone by - can't say I miss
the 7, particularly.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2020 04:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I drove Mini,Alpine, TR7 and MGB in years gone by - can't say I miss
the 7, particularly.

A friend had a MGB that I drove now and again. It was okay although he
carried a spare fan belt in the trunk. Throwing the belt would have been
as annoying if it hadn't dented the hood on its way out.

I lusted after a TR3 since it was a little hotter than the MGs, except
for the problematic Twin-Cam. The Yaris performs better than either
although it certainly doesn't have to cool factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/19/2020 03:59 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Side curtains and a buggy top. This one has just a toneau and
brooklands screens. If it rains you get WET. The heater works pretty
good -but that just keeps you warm from about the knees down. There is
no "boot" on a TD either - the top folded down and stowed behind the
seats along with the side curtains. You got almost as wet with the top
as without.

Yeah, that was the Sprite. I got a white tonneau and fitted it on a hot
summer day. I'll have to say it looked sharp, white cover on a blue car.
Then came fall and cooler evenings. I've bad memories of getting home at
2 AM and damn near pushing the car down the driveway to snap the cover
closed.

It was fun though. One night my brother in law was riding shotgun and
asked how it handled. I did a bootlegger and all he could say was 'Oh'.
He was used to driving his father's Checkers. Just as well, given the
frequency with which he wrecked those tanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 May 2020 19:00:17 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/19/2020 04:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I drove Mini,Alpine, TR7 and MGB in years gone by - can't say I miss
the 7, particularly.

A friend had a MGB that I drove now and again. It was okay although he
carried a spare fan belt in the trunk. Throwing the belt would have been
as annoying if it hadn't dented the hood on its way out.

I lusted after a TR3 since it was a little hotter than the MGs, except
for the problematic Twin-Cam. The Yaris performs better than either
although it certainly doesn't have to cool factor.

A whole lot more reliable too
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 05/19/2020 04:09 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I drove Mini,Alpine, TR7 and MGB in years gone by - can't say I miss
the 7, particularly.

A friend had a MGB that I drove now and again. It was okay although he
carried a spare fan belt in the trunk. Throwing the belt would have been
as annoying if it hadn't dented the hood on its way out.

I lusted after a TR3 since it was a little hotter than the MGs, except
for the problematic Twin-Cam. The Yaris performs better than either
although it certainly doesn't have to cool factor.

I liked the idea of the Tiger but I was never serious enough to buy
one.
I did know a couple guys who were really into those MG/Triumph/AH cars
and they were racing them on weekends.
The one who worked for IBM drove a BMW sedan to work (60s vintage). It
looked like something you would see on the Mobile Gas Economy Run but
it was a sporty little thing that would keep up with my Corvette.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 20 May 2020 17:40:41 -0400, wrote:

On Wed, 20 May 2020 16:35:34 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

2002 Bavaria? they were great handling and performing cars - I
rallyed against one for 3 years in the R12 and beat him every year - -
-

This was the late 60s, early 70s so I doubt he was driving a 2002
anything, even if it did have a flux capacitor and would go 88MPH.
;-)

You are a moron when it comes to cars too, are you??? The 2002 was
built from '71 to '73. It was the 2 liter version of the 1502, 1602,
and 1802 and was the fore-runner of the 300 series.
Technically the "bavaria" was the 6 cyl - 2.5 liter to 3.3 liter
version of basically the same body style - but the 2002 was often
called the 2002 bavaria by enthusiasts - or the "Baby Bavaria". The
Datsun 510 was "the poor man's Bavaria"

House Flipping: Flip A House: Real Estate Flipping: Property Flipping Gotitontheweb UK diy 1 October 29th 07 07:07 PM
flipping rules longshot Home Repair 49 April 10th 07 05:12 AM
'Flipping' is not always a dirty word Ablang Home Ownership 10 February 8th 07 02:02 PM
"Flipping" IS NOT a dirty word... Greg Home Ownership 4 February 6th 07 08:47 PM
flipping houses mamace Home Repair 47 October 2nd 06 01:10 AM