Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Flipping a car

On Mon, 18 May 2020 20:58:07 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/18/2020 08:25 PM, Xeno wrote:
On 17/5/20 2:46 pm, Rod Speed wrote:

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 16 May 2020 23:56:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

Yeah, that makes the one I came across look like nothing. (Well there
might have been ambulances before I got there.)

I'm afraid to flip my car, especially when the top is down. Afraid I'll
get a haircut.

Yeah, that's why some have roll bars.

It's why I would never own a soft top. Even with a roll bar, the risks
of injury are very high.

I recall an accident at the Lime Rock racetrack. It was a SCCA
sanctioned even and the car had the requisite roll bar. It doesn't do
you much good when you wind upside down with a large anthill filling the
cockpit.

I got the roadster thing out of my system early. It was fun but if I
want fresh air I have the motorcycles. If I want creature comfort in
inclement weather I'll take something with a roof, roll up windows, and
a working heater.

But there's NOTHING like cruising the back country roads in a '53 MG
TD - particularly when it's got the grunt of an MGB engine instead of
the anemic XPAG - and a full syncro gear box too.
C of G low enough you'd REALLY have to do something stupid to get the
greasy side up.I've "Baby sat" the MG for 3 summers - and the Fiat
cinquo for 2.
Almost as good as a Lotus 7.

When I need heat and comfort the Sorento fills the bill