Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Flipping a car

On Sun, 17 May 2020 00:04:20 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2020 23:56:31 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Week or so ago Micky was talking about how to flip a car back on its
wheels. Last night on Live PD Crime of the Week I saw a better one.

Police in OK were chasing a pickup truck with two people in it. It was
a long chase, about a halt hour when finally one of the cops did a PIT
maneuver to stop the truck. Well, the truck rolled over a full 360,
landed on its wheels and the driver kept going. He was stopped on a
second PIT

The flip is about 1 minute in
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=279049476561219

For anyone not familiar:
The PIT maneuver (pursuit intervention technique), or TVI (tactical
vehicle intervention) is a pursuit tactic by which a pursuing car can
force a fleeing car to turn sideways abruptly, causing the driver to
lose control and stop

When I rolled my Jeep it ended up on the roof. The wrecker got it back
on the wheels and I drove it home.

When I snapped the shift fork in the transmission of my '49 VW in
Zambia I took the wheels off one side and using a fence post I teipped
it up on it's side so I could pull the nose off the transmission.
After walking 8km or so each way to the school shop to weld it I put
it back together and flipped it back onto it's wheels - by myself -
then pulled the plugs from the "down" side, cranked it over to blow
the oil out, put the plugs back in and killed all the mosquitos for
about 4 blocks.

My former partner in the airplane project flipped his diesel 4Runner
right over on it's roof in a ditch. It sat upside-down for several
hours. After being righted and towed home about 48 hours later the
engine could still not be cranked by hand - the intake was full of oil
too. Had to pull the injectors and using a suction gun suck all the
oil out of the intake then crank it over for about 20 seconds . When
the injectors were re-installed and the engine started it smoked for
almost half an hour. Had to re-fill the automatic trans, power
steering, and brake fluid too - - -