Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FIOS box batteries

The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 16:46:36 -0400, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The Natural Philosopher about senile Rodent:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 4:46:40 PM UTC-4, Tekkie® wrote:
The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

--
Tekkie

How much are the batteries and how long does it keep it going versus what you need/want? If the batteries performed OK, lasted 8 years, don't cost too much, why change what works?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/30/2020 4:46 PM, Tekkie� wrote:
The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

I would think that FIOS should service it. I had one as a land line and
batteries were shot but phone still worked and I had another line with
VoIP with Comcast. I since shut off the FIOS line and no one came to
the house to take anything out. Since the box was plugged into my home
service, I figured only need for batteries was in the case of a power
failure. Comcast does not have them. We had a brief power glitch today
and phone cut out coming back when power came back on.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Apr 2020 18:39:52 -0400, Frank
wrote:

On 4/30/2020 4:46 PM, Tekkie? wrote:
The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

I would think that FIOS should service it.

But it doesn't. I asked in advance.

I had one as a land line and
batteries were shot but phone still worked and I had another line with
VoIP with Comcast.

Comcast is different, I guess.

I since shut off the FIOS line and no one came to
the house to take anything out. Since the box was plugged into my home
service, I figured only need for batteries was in the case of a power
failure.

I think you're right.

Comcast does not have them. We had a brief power glitch today
and phone cut out coming back when power came back on.

We had a power glitch when I was on the phone. I have a wired phone
with a wired handset. There are 3 cordless extension but the phone by
my desk is wired and would normally have worked in a power failure. In
fact it was good to have something to do in a power failure.

I got the box that holds the batteries, 12 D-cells!! That's a lot! and
so I didnt' buy the batteries, and so when there was a power glitch of
only a second or two, my phone connection was broken. I think batteries
would have kept the connection going. (And if it hadn't been VOIP, it
would have been fine also.) Without the batteries it took 3 or 4
minutes for the FIOS modem on my dsk to show the normal 2 lights. And
then I called my friend back. I could have used the cellphone right
away and if it were not someone I knew, caller id would have had the
number (called id won't work, I'm sure, until the power comes back on,
but that only took a couple seconds. )

To hear they lasted 8 years is encouraging.

A UPS is only good for about 5 minutes iiuc, and it makes 110 VAC. I
think the batteries are good for a couple hours talking time and longer
when no one is talking. Someone online say 8 hours but I don't now if
that is when talking or only when not talking.

I red that the batteries are backup only for the phone. The internet
and tv will still not work.

OTOH, if you have a UPS you can connect the computer to it also and
maybe then you'd have internet (but only for 5 minutes or whatever) adn
you could also shut down the computer normally, but I don't have that
and because I save everything I'm writing pretty often, and because of
auto-save, and because Firefox now remembers my tabs much more reliably,
I've never lost anything in a crash in the last 4 years.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+run+the+phone
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The 650 va UPS on my modem/ip-phone is good for about 2 hours idle -
over an hour running wifi. The 1200 va powerware unit will run my i7
desktop for almost an hour - about half an hour withthe 27 inch
monitor. I could double that with a single extender pac and it will
take up to 4.
The 500va on the cable tv box will run it for almost a half hour but
won't support the 50 inch plasma at all.

I red that the batteries are backup only for the phone. The internet
and tv will still not work.

OTOH, if you have a UPS you can connect the computer to it also and
maybe then you'd have internet (but only for 5 minutes or whatever) adn
you could also shut down the computer normally, but I don't have that
and because I save everything I'm writing pretty often, and because of
auto-save, and because Firefox now remembers my tabs much more reliably,
I've never lost anything in a crash in the last 4 years.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+run+the+phone

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/20 11:27 am, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 30 Apr 2020 20:24:56 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 18:58:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...
atteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

I don't really see the need for the batteries of a FIOS box for the land
line. If you loose power, what is going to power the phones ? Most
people have cordless phones and they do not work without power. I have
a phone that is not cordless and it will not call out on the cable modem
as the touch tones do not work. I can answer and talk with it.
Chances are that the power for the FIOS system will be out or the lines
will be down anyway.

Hopefully you have a cell phone and can use it for any needs. I don't
use the cell phone much and have my landline over the internet. I have
had to use the cell phone a couple of times to see why my internet was
out.

I have my modem and IP Phone box on a UPS and have the base for my
cordless phone powered off the same UPS. If the power goes out I have
about 2 hours of wifi internet AND telephone.

You're using a laptop computer Ipresume. Are you using fiber optic for
internet?

He didn't mention a computer, laptop or otherwise. By having the Wifi on
hand, *any* battery powered device; laptop, phone, tablet, etc. will
still work from batteries and be able to connect to the internet.

Fibre optic broadband here comes with its own battery backup. I presume
the same applies elsewhere.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 18:58:52 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , says...
[...]

If you read the thread, you'll see your last sentence is half-true.
Here it coms with its own battery box, but the 12 D-cells have to be
purchased by the user.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

We lost power in the storm last night. Lot of power was down but only
64 on line around here. I started the generator figuring we might watch
TV but cable was also out so no phone, no TV, and no internet. Power
out for 8 hours but took cable another half hour afterwards.

My desktop is on a UPS. Power went out and I just finished the game I
was playing before turning computer off. Years ago I had bad problems
with a computer crashing in a power failure with no UPS or circuit
breaker. Several years ago we had the high tension line fall on low
tension line to blow out every circuit breaker in the house. I was on
line on the desk top with no problem even though circuit breaker to UPS
was fried.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

That would depend entirely on what it's capacity is and what it's
powering. I would expect even a modest UPS would power a VOIP box
for an order of magnitude or two longer than 5 mins.

and it makes 110 VAC. I
think the batteries are good for a couple hours talking time and longer
when no one is talking. Someone online say 8 hours but I don't now if
that is when talking or only when not talking.

I red that the batteries are backup only for the phone. The internet
and tv will still not work.

OTOH, if you have a UPS you can connect the computer to it also and
maybe then you'd have internet (but only for 5 minutes or whatever) adn
you could also shut down the computer normally, but I don't have that
and because I save everything I'm writing pretty often, and because of
auto-save, and because Firefox now remembers my tabs much more reliably,
I've never lost anything in a crash in the last 4 years.

https://www.google.com/search?client...+run+the+phone

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/20 7:14 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

https://www.google.com/search?client...+run+the+phone

We lost power in the storm last night.Â* Lot of power was down but only
64 on line around here.Â* I started the generator figuring we might watch
TV but cable was also out so no phone, no TV, and no internet.Â* Power
out for 8 hours but took cable another half hour afterwards.

A similar thing happened here, but the cable power backup (at the end of
this block) failed too, as well as something else so it wouldn't work
even after power was back on. Power outage lasted almost exactly 2
hours. Cable was out those 2 hours and about 6 more.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/20 7:17 AM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

Last night with power and cable outage I had to walk out to the street
to get cell phone reception.

My first cell phone (AT&T, in about 1999) was like that. To use it here,
I'd have to go out in the yard and hold it carefully in a certain spot.

AT&T would be fine in the business area less than a mile away.

The current phone (Verizon) sometimes has a weak 4G signal inside, but
this phone can use WiFi also.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/1/20 8:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That would depend entirely on what it's capacity is and what it's
powering. I would expect even a modest UPS would power a VOIP box
for an order of magnitude or two longer than 5 mins.

During an outage here, I often turn off the computer as soon as I can.
The security DVR (with 4 cameras) kept working all through the 2-hour
outage we had a few days ago.

BTW, when the power went out here (transformer failure, I was told), I
heard a loud noise from the direction of the big transformers.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The sense of spiritual relief which comes from rejecting the idea of
God as a supernatural being is enormous." [Julian Huxley]
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , actodesco2
@gmail.com says...

On 4/30/2020 6:58 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...
[...]

Some cordless phones like Panasonic, have a feature where if the power
goes out, you can use any of the phones except the one sitting on the
base station. That handset provides power for the base station. You
can use the base station, but only the speakerphone (not picking up that
handset).

As do I. That works well. The batteries in the phone only
box are dead and I need them replaced.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I've never had a UPS battery last 8 years. I've learned
to be satisfied if they make it to 4. If the FIOS batteries aren't too
expensive and you don't want a UPS for other purposes, such as powering
your router, I'd follow trader's advice and stick with what has worked
so far.

--
Eradicate SARS-CoV-2
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 1 May 2020 12:55:35 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 5/1/20 8:00 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[snip]

That would depend entirely on what it's capacity is and what it's
powering. I would expect even a modest UPS would power a VOIP box
for an order of magnitude or two longer than 5 mins.

During an outage here, I often turn off the computer as soon as I can.
The security DVR (with 4 cameras) kept working all through the 2-hour
outage we had a few days ago.

BTW, when the power went out here (transformer failure, I was told), I
heard a loud noise from the direction of the big transformers.

Youtube has videos of transformers exploding. When they go, sometimes they
go in a spectacular way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 May 2020 16:46:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

In article ,
says...

Tekkie® wrote:

The batteries in the FIOS box are shot. For landline voice
only. Replace them or get a UPS? Keep in mind this box is
in the basement and I am disabled. I will have my guy in
late May to service the A/C and he can do the work. IIRC
the existing batteries have lasted 8+ years. Any opinions
or thoughts?

I'm pretty sure I've never had a UPS battery last 8 years. I've learned
to be satisfied if they make it to 4. If the FIOS batteries aren't too
expensive and you don't want a UPS for other purposes, such as powering
your router, I'd follow trader's advice and stick with what has worked
so far.

Thanks, I will see how much my guy will charge for the
battery & installation. The batteries are about $29 on
Amazon. Verizon wants $100 for the installation & $50 for
the battery. If I opt to replace the battery I will
probably be dead before the battery...

Come on, replacing the battery isn't THAT dangerous!!! BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

A FIOS battery?

You just open the cover, detach the snap on leads, attach the new
battery, close the cover.
If I remember right it was like a 9 volt battery.
Hiring someone for the job would be like hiring someone to change a
light bulb.

Don't let the FIOS serviceman see any FIOS hookup with a battery,
they'll want to pull it and replace it something with no battery.

In my case, I was fine with it, the battery was just something to worry
about. If I cared, I'd get my own UPS.

--
Dan Espen

Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

It was a JOKE!!!! He said if he attempted to change the battery he'd
be dead before the battery - and I said changing the battery wasn't
THAT dengerous -and but a Big Grin after it to make sure only a
moron would mistage it foe being serious - - - -

WHOOOOSH!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

Isolation leading to severe brain malfunction.

I've been painting the basement and pulling weeds.
I'm surprised I have the intellect to feed myself and get dressed
each day.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Tekkie® wrote:

[...]

I'm disabled so even going down the steps would probably
result in me going DRT.

--
Tekkie