Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default Picture of FiOS cable

Cut open a fallen fios cable drop that ran from pole to a house (following
storm damage). Single fiber as thin as a hair with two support "wires" made
of fiberglas/epoxy.
I had been wondering why, following the storm, fallen coax was removed
promptly but the fiber cable was just left. Then it hit me, no metal in the
fiber cable so no scrap value...

Attached Thumbnails
Picture of FiOS cable-fios-cable-drop-jpg
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

Cut open a fallen fios cable drop that ran from pole to a house (following
storm damage). Single fiber as thin as a hair with two support "wires" made
of fiberglas/epoxy.
I had been wondering why, following the storm, fallen coax was removed
promptly but the fiber cable was just left. Then it hit me, no metal in the
fiber cable so no scrap value...

And no way to locate with their cable finders.
Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

Oppie wrote:

Cut open a fallen fios cable drop that ran from pole to a house
(following
storm damage). Single fiber as thin as a hair with two support "wires"
made
of fiberglas/epoxy.
I had been wondering why, following the storm, fallen coax was removed
promptly but the fiber cable was just left. Then it hit me, no metal in
the
fiber cable so no scrap value...

And no way to locate with their cable finders.

I think that they use a metal messenger for buried cable just for that
reason.

Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Oppie wrote:

Cut open a fallen fios cable drop that ran from pole to a house
(following
storm damage). Single fiber as thin as a hair with two support "wires"
made
of fiberglas/epoxy.
I had been wondering why, following the storm, fallen coax was removed
promptly but the fiber cable was just left. Then it hit me, no metal in
the
fiber cable so no scrap value...

And no way to locate with their cable finders.

I think that they use a metal messenger for buried cable just for that
reason.

I've never seen it installed, so I'll take your word for it. I have
installed that bright orange plastic natural gas line that required a
continuous piece of 14 AWG for tracking.