Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Fixing my fridge

I'm having a problem with both my freezer and refrigerator when turned to the coldest possible setting both are not that cold at all. I believe it's the newer type of fridge as there are no coils on the back. What can I do to fix this?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gonna love this. I was in 'thridge' post in the eighties. LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 6:34:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I'm having a problem with both my freezer and refrigerator when turned to the coldest possible setting both are not that cold at all. I believe it's the newer type of fridge as there are no coils on the back. What can I do to fix this?

both are "not that cold."

How "not that cold" are they? And how will you know if you get improvement?

Use a thermometer. It makes a huge difference if "not that cold" is 41 F vs 61 F.

Second, what type refrigerator, and how old? As someone else asked, do you hear the compressor start? If not you have to address that first; if yes then the fan etc. as suggested by others.

Third, WHY is the refrigerator set so cold? Often it's because your door seals have failed. No compressor can really keep up, but if you turn it all the way cold, you will also probably freez the ice dispenser and the water dispenser, if this refrigerator has one.

Oh, and have you cleaned the coils?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, February 25, 2020 at 9:46:31 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:12:24 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
I'm having a problem with both my freezer and refrigerator when turned to the coldest possible setting both are not that cold at all. I believe it's the newer type of fridge as there are no coils on the back. What can I do to fix this?

Most common problem is the evaporator fan motor is not working. It
blows cold air between compartments. When it dies, the coils often
freeze too.

Depending on the model, in the back of the freezer there is a
compartment you can open to get to it. You also have to let the coil
thaw out.

It helps if you know where the air flows from and have noticed it before
when it was working correctly, so you know what to expect. As others
have suggested, turn it off, let it thaw out thoroughly so if there ice
blocking it, that will melt. Then turn it on, cover the door switch with
tape so it thinks the door is closed and see if air is moving from the
openings. If the compressor is running, but no air movement, then it's
likely the fan is bad. If the compressor is running and there is air
movement, close the doors and wait a couple hours. If it's not to
around normal temperature, time for a new fridge.

I don't know if all refrigerators work this way. On mine, the actual cooling is done in the freezer compartment, and there is a pass through vent to cool the refrigerator space. The temperature setting controls the freezer. There is a temperature setting for the rest, but it just controls a damper in the vent. It did happen once that a chunk of ice blocked that vent and the refrigerator didn't cool, but I think the freezer still did, can't remember for sure.