Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Fixing my fridge

On Monday, February 24, 2020 at 10:12:24 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/24/2020 6:34 PM, wrote:
I'm having a problem with both my freezer and refrigerator when turned to the coldest possible setting both are not that cold at all. I believe it's the newer type of fridge as there are no coils on the back. What can I do to fix this?

Most common problem is the evaporator fan motor is not working. It
blows cold air between compartments. When it dies, the coils often
freeze too.

Depending on the model, in the back of the freezer there is a
compartment you can open to get to it. You also have to let the coil
thaw out.

It helps if you know where the air flows from and have noticed it before
when it was working correctly, so you know what to expect. As others
have suggested, turn it off, let it thaw out thoroughly so if there ice
blocking it, that will melt. Then turn it on, cover the door switch with
tape so it thinks the door is closed and see if air is moving from the
openings. If the compressor is running, but no air movement, then it's
likely the fan is bad. If the compressor is running and there is air
movement, close the doors and wait a couple hours. If it's not to
around normal temperature, time for a new fridge.