Howie

Default bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?

I have read the Lowes.com page:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...HeatingCooling

I discovered when I took off one of our eavestroughs that the fascia board
was quite rotted in one small area. When I remove the rotted section I
discovered this:
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...soffitvent.jpg

The bathroom fan wasn't completely vented to the outside! (There is a soffit
vent under the pipe elbow, but the elbow isn't directly connected to the
soffit vent).

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe elbow?

Howie

PoCambo

From: "Ho

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe elbow?

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the duct to the
nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent openings to the outside.
Howie

From: "Ho

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe

elbow?

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the duct to

the
nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent openings to the outside.

We have the old style aluminium soffit vents (basically an aluminium
screen). Should the transition from the pipe elbow to vinyl tubing to
soffit vent be air tight?

Joseph Meehan

From: "Ho

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the
pipe elbow?

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the
duct to the nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent openings
to the outside.

Unless the pipe is tightly sealed to make sure all the air goes out the
vent and that the vent has enough open area this is not going to work well.
In addition it is recommended that you direct any such venting away from the
house and any other vents that may draw the damp air back in.

Frankly trying to vent out the soffit is a bad idea in my opinion. I
suspect that is why you don't see vents made for that use. I suggest
redirecting it through the roof and repair your soffit knowing that now it
will not be damaged again.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Howie

From: "Ho

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the
pipe elbow?

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the
duct to the nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent openings
to the outside.

Unless the pipe is tightly sealed to make sure all the air goes out

the
vent and that the vent has enough open area this is not going to work

well.
In addition it is recommended that you direct any such venting away from

the
house and any other vents that may draw the damp air back in.

Frankly trying to vent out the soffit is a bad idea in my opinion. I
suspect that is why you don't see vents made for that use.

I have seen a number of website that say to use this type of vent??, such as
http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht064.html, and
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...HeatingCooling

I suggest
redirecting it through the roof and repair your soffit knowing that now it
will not be damaged again.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Joseph Meehan

PoCambo wrote:
From: "Ho

[...]

Your first reference suggest a soffit vent as one of three choices. It
appears to show the vent away from any other soffit vents and using a free
flowing vent fixture. The second one from Lowes, is less clear, but if you
try to find a soffit vent on the same web site, you will not find one.
Interesting that they recommend a procedure and then do not provide the
needed fittings.

I might also note that the original message was due to soffit damage due
to improper installation and I will add that this such improper installation
is not at all uncommon.

I suggest
redirecting it through the roof and repair your soffit knowing that
now it will not be damaged again.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Howie

PoCambo wrote:
From: "Ho

[...]

good idea, I'll use a roof vent.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Howie

A guy at "alt.hvac" showed me this neat eve vent:

(http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....26/it.A/id.32/
..f;jsessionid=ac112b791f4353b6408954304f0a987282c 9991fa4d0.qQvJq2PEmlnva30Q-
BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3mIqQvJq2PEm
lnva30Q-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxah8LbN8Ka3aSawb48QvJpkixn6jAmlj Gr5XDqQLvp
Ae_)...

what do you guys think?

Howie

"Howie" wrote in message
I have read the Lowes.com page:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...HeatingCooling

I discovered when I took off one of our eavestroughs that the fascia board
was quite rotted in one small area. When I remove the rotted section I
discovered this:
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...soffitvent.jpg

The bathroom fan wasn't completely vented to the outside! (There is a

soffit
vent under the pipe elbow, but the elbow isn't directly connected to the
soffit vent).

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe

elbow?

Howie

Howie

"Howie" wrote in message
A guy at "alt.hvac" showed me this neat eve vent:

(http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....26/it.A/id.32/

..f;jsessionid=ac112b791f4353b6408954304f0a987282c 9991fa4d0.qQvJq2PEmlnva30Q-

BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOUc30KaNDNo6XKq6zInRmTbgbNo6XK-kDvrA4Ka3mIqQvJq2PEm

lnva30Q-BbQmkLz-ATzr6Lzn6rzqwTxpQOxah8LbN8Ka3aSawb48QvJpkixn6jAmlj Gr5XDqQLvp
Ae_)...

what do you guys think?

Howie

The url didn't come through (you will have to cut and paste the whole thing
then paste it in the address bar:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c..../it.A/id.32/.f

Here's a pictu http://www.dryerbox.com/images/sales/eavekit_lg2.jpg

comments?

Howie

"Howie" wrote in message
I have read the Lowes.com page:

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...HeatingCooling

I discovered when I took off one of our eavestroughs that the fascia

board
was quite rotted in one small area. When I remove the rotted section I
discovered this:
http://eteamz.active.com/amtrakfastb...soffitvent.jpg

The bathroom fan wasn't completely vented to the outside! (There is a

soffit
vent under the pipe elbow, but the elbow isn't directly connected to the
soffit vent).

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the pipe

elbow?

Howie

Janet

"Howie" wrote in
:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ory.-108/it.A/
id.32/.f

Here's a pictu http://www.dryerbox.com/images/sales/eavekit_lg2.jpg

comments?

Howie

My husband installed one a year ago. We thought about putting it through
the roof but decided to go with this first. It seems to work okay ... at
least it's better than putting all that damp air into the attic.

btw, he said he got it at a Lowes, but they might not carry it any more.

Howie

"Janet" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Howie" wrote in
:

The url didn't come through (you will have to cut and paste the whole
thing then paste it in the address bar:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ory.-108/it.A/
id.32/.f

Here's a pictu http://www.dryerbox.com/images/sales/eavekit_lg2.jpg

comments?

Howie

My husband installed one a year ago. We thought about putting it through
the roof but decided to go with this first. It seems to work okay ... at
least it's better than putting all that damp air into the attic.

btw, he said he got it at a Lowes, but they might not carry it any more.

Did he get the "EveVent" I mentioned above?

Howie

Anyone tried this one? : http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

"Janet" wrote in message
anews.com...
"Howie" wrote in
:

The url didn't come through (you will have to cut and paste the whole
thing then paste it in the address bar:

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ory.-108/it.A/
id.32/.f

Here's a pictu http://www.dryerbox.com/images/sales/eavekit_lg2.jpg

comments?

Howie

My husband installed one a year ago. We thought about putting it through
the roof but decided to go with this first. It seems to work okay ... at
least it's better than putting all that damp air into the attic.

btw, he said he got it at a Lowes, but they might not carry it any more.

Howie

It's not being vented into the attic. The moist exhaust air is being
expelled out the vent to the outside air which is located in the soffit.

Howie

wrote in message
NEVER, EVER vent a bathroom fan into an attic. All the farts are
sucked up thru that fan, and they concentrate in the attic. Sooner or
later there will be an electrical spark, or bolt of lightning, and
KABOOM !!!!!!

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:36:50 -0600, "Howie" wrote:

Anyone tried this one? : http://www.duraflo.com/_tier3.asp?x=1&y=28&z=2

Howie

"Janet" wrote in message
tanews.com...