Howie

Default bathroom fan not completely vented to soffit vent?

From: "Ho

My question - what kind of soffit vent do I use to attach to the
pipe elbow?

If you have a vinyl covered vented soffit outside just extend the
duct to the nearest opening so it vents thru the soffit vent
openings to the outside.

Unless the pipe is tightly sealed to make sure all the air goes
out the vent and that the vent has enough open area this is not
going to work well. In addition it is recommended that you direct
any such venting away from the house and any other vents that may
draw the damp air back in.

Frankly trying to vent out the soffit is a bad idea in my
opinion. I suspect that is why you don't see vents made for that
use.

I have seen a number of website that say to use this type of vent??,
such as http://www.cornerhardware.com/howto/ht064.html, and

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=howT...HeatingCooling

Your first reference suggest a soffit vent as one of three choices.

It
appears to show the vent away from any other soffit vents and using a free
flowing vent fixture. The second one from Lowes, is less clear, but if

you
try to find a soffit vent on the same web site, you will not find one.
Interesting that they recommend a procedure and then do not provide the
needed fittings.

I might also note that the original message was due to soffit damage

due
to improper installation and I will add that this such improper

installation
is not at all uncommon.

I suggest
redirecting it through the roof and repair your soffit knowing that
now it will not be damaged again.

good idea, I'll use a roof vent.

--
Joseph E. Meehan