Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Laptop question

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/19 5:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Hi Terry,

I would leave it unplugged and off as their batteries are
know to catch fire when charging.

Turn your computer off first though.

If you are running Windows Nein, oops, Windows 10, disable
Fast Boot and reboot to make sure your laptop is actually
off.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup

-T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/05/2019 06:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do you
leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending to
use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

I leave mine plugged in mostly because I'm lazy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2019 9:02 PM, T wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Hi Terry,

I would leave it unplugged and off as their batteries are
know to catch fire when charging.

Turn your computer off first though.

If you are running Windows Nein, oops, Windows 10, disable
Fast Boot and reboot to make sure your laptop is actually
off.

Â*Â* https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup

-T

Many laptops have a trickle charging system that will stop charging when
it reaches capacity and charge again when it reaches a certain point.

Though, if it's a unit that's not being used often, I would also unplug
it. My laptop is my main desktop and I keep it on all the time with a
restart once a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Â*Â*Â* https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup

-T

Many laptops have a trickle charging system that will stop charging when
it reaches capacity and charge again when it reaches a certain point.

Though, if it's a unit that's not being used often, I would also unplug
it. My laptop is my main desktop and I keep it on all the time with a
restart once a week.

I come across laptops all the time with fully discharged
batteries and/or batteries that are just dead. Plug in
the charger and away you go.

A fully discharged battery give the BIOS a good reboot
too. On my office desktop/server, after I power off,
I flick the power off on my outlet strip too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 5 Nov 2019 19:30:28 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Do NOT keep it plugged in for best battery life. One suggestion I
have given others is to put it on a timer and charge it for an hour or
less once a week if you are worried about the battery going flat. That
was for the older nickel batteries. The lithium batteries are a lot
better at holding a charge - so mabee 5 minuted a week.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Do NOT keep it plugged in for best battery life. One suggestion I
have given others is to put it on a timer and charge it for an hour or
less once a week if you are worried about the battery going flat. That
was for the older nickel batteries. The lithium batteries are a lot
better at holding a charge - so mabee 5 minuted a week.

Â* This is why I ask , I've had batteries go bad while on charge for
extended periods - but those were older comps too so ... I guess
plugging it in weekly while I do updates and stuff should be enough .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

If the battery is removable, pull it...then just leave the laptop
plugged in.

--
Weve transitioned from stigmatizing mental illness to accepting mental
illness to normalizing mental illness and more recently, to celebrating
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2019 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

You can look up how to extend life of various batteries. I read the
lithium ones do not benefit from deep discharge like NiMH do.

I plug my laptop in when in use as screen is brighter but unplug when
not in use.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 08:47:56 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote:

If the battery is removable, pull it...then just leave the laptop
plugged in.

My experience with Li-ion batteries (the vast majority nowadays) is that if
they are cooled much below freezing and then connected to a power drain,
they will be immediately damaged permanently.

So yes, pull the battery and keep it in your house, not the garage.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 14:29:47 +0000, Mike_Duffy
wrote:

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 08:47:56 -0500, Wade Garrett wrote:

If the battery is removable, pull it...then just leave the laptop
plugged in.

My experience with Li-ion batteries (the vast majority nowadays) is that if
they are cooled much below freezing and then connected to a power drain,
they will be immediately damaged permanently.

So yes, pull the battery and keep it in your house, not the garage.

"damaged permanently" is not EXACTLY true - but a close description.
The battery management circuitry is designed to permantly disconnect
cells from the load if the voltage drops below a particular threshold
(where cell reversal can happen?) and when too cold the cells can not
produce enough power to keep the voltage above that threshold under
load. The cells themselves are not damaged - as I have proven in the
past be dissassembling the battery and charging the cells DIRECTLY -
bypassing the battery management or battery protection module. When
the battery (cell)is fully charged some battery management modules
revert to functional - some do not - but the cell itself is GENERALLY
not harmed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/5/2019 5:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one intending
to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I don't spend
much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of the time . I'm
wondering which option is best for long battery life - I generally boot
it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Charge it to 45-50%, pull the battery, and store it in a cool dry place.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/6/2019 7:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

If the battery is removable, pull it...then just leave the laptop
plugged in.

Â*Â* Can't do that , the battery must be in place for the comp to [ower
up . I guess it's a Lenovo thing , my old Dells and Toshiba's all worked
while plugged in with or without the batteries .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:

On 11/6/2019 7:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

  When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

My Toshiba (help files) told the story.
Once a laptop is fully charged, unplug it. To keep it plugged
in just wears out the battery.

Next time you use it, if battery is low, plug it in while
you use it.

My Toshiba laptop battery is so dead. On a full charge it
will power out even before boot up is finished. But just
plugging it in, it will work fine.

Never any need to remove a battery. If it loses power, just
plug in while you use it then unplug it until next time.

Again though, with a good battery - once it reaches full charge,
unplug it for longest battery life.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 9:38:13 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 11/6/2019 7:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Ā Ā When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

My Toshiba (help files) told the story.
Once a laptop is fully charged, unplug it. To keep it plugged
in just wears out the battery.

And then discharging it, then recharging it, doesn't? I thought the number
of cycles was the primary limiting factor. Not to mention that to have
to use it like that would be a pain in the ass.

Next time you use it, if battery is low, plug it in while
you use it.

My Toshiba laptop battery is so dead. On a full charge it
will power out even before boot up is finished. But just
plugging it in, it will work fine.

Never any need to remove a battery.

If we followed your protocol, there sure would be. If I come home,
battery is partly discharged, I plug it in. I guess I'm supposed
to check every hour to see if it's charged so I can disconnect it?
Say I come back two
hours later, it's charged, now I want to use the PC, keep it powered
on for the rest of the day. What do I do if I don't take the battery out?
If I leave it on for 6 more hours with the battery in, it's continuing
to charge it.

If it loses power, just
plug in while you use it then unplug it until next time.

Again though, with a good battery - once it reaches full charge,
unplug it for longest battery life.

I find it hard to believe that in 2019 PCs that have billions of transistors
and all kinds of software, don't have the means built in to charge a
simple battery correctly. I mean companies like SmartTender make little $25
battery chargers with some limited electronics that can charge a battery
and then keep it charged without ruining it, but a $500 laptop can't?
I mean how hard is it for a 50 cent IC to monitor the charging and if
the battery is fully charged, stop charging it?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/8/2019 6:38 AM, Gary wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

[...]

Many "experts" state that keeping batteries fully charged decreases
their life. Keeping them in the 40-80% charged region most of the time
is supposed to extend their lives.

For my phone, I have a 0-1 hour timer powering the charger. I can set
the timer to take it to about the 80% charge state depending on what it
says the charge is when I start.