Posted to alt.home.repair
T[_6_] T[_6_] is offline

Default Laptop question

On 11/5/19 6:26 PM, Hawk wrote:
On 11/5/2019 9:02 PM, T wrote:
On 11/5/19 5:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

Hi Terry,

I would leave it unplugged and off as their batteries are
know to catch fire when charging.

Turn your computer off first though.

If you are running Windows Nein, oops, Windows 10, disable
Fast Boot and reboot to make sure your laptop is actually
off.

Â*Â*Â* https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...0-fast-startup

-T

Many laptops have a trickle charging system that will stop charging when
it reaches capacity and charge again when it reaches a certain point.

Though, if it's a unit that's not being used often, I would also unplug
it. My laptop is my main desktop and I keep it on all the time with a
restart once a week.

I come across laptops all the time with fully discharged
batteries and/or batteries that are just dead. Plug in
the charger and away you go.

A fully discharged battery give the BIOS a good reboot
too. On my office desktop/server, after I power off,
I flick the power off on my outlet strip too.