Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Laptop question

On 11/8/2019 6:38 AM, Gary wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 11/6/2019 7:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

  When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

My Toshiba (help files) told the story.
Once a laptop is fully charged, unplug it. To keep it plugged
in just wears out the battery.

Next time you use it, if battery is low, plug it in while
you use it.

My Toshiba laptop battery is so dead. On a full charge it
will power out even before boot up is finished. But just
plugging it in, it will work fine.

Never any need to remove a battery. If it loses power, just
plug in while you use it then unplug it until next time.

Again though, with a good battery - once it reaches full charge,
unplug it for longest battery life.

Many "experts" state that keeping batteries fully charged decreases
their life. Keeping them in the 40-80% charged region most of the time
is supposed to extend their lives.

For my phone, I have a 0-1 hour timer powering the charger. I can set
the timer to take it to about the 80% charge state depending on what it
says the charge is when I start.