Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Laptop question

On Friday, November 8, 2019 at 9:38:13 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:

On 11/6/2019 7:47 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/5/19 8:30 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Ā Ā When you're not using your laptop comp for an extended period , do
you leave it plugged in to the power or unplugged ? I got one
intending to use it out in the shop , which ain't happening because I
don't spend much time out there right now , so it sits unused most of
the time . I'm wondering which option is best for long battery life -
I generally boot it up for updates/etc every week or so .

My Toshiba (help files) told the story.
Once a laptop is fully charged, unplug it. To keep it plugged
in just wears out the battery.

And then discharging it, then recharging it, doesn't? I thought the number
of cycles was the primary limiting factor. Not to mention that to have
to use it like that would be a pain in the ass.

Next time you use it, if battery is low, plug it in while
you use it.

My Toshiba laptop battery is so dead. On a full charge it
will power out even before boot up is finished. But just
plugging it in, it will work fine.

Never any need to remove a battery.

If we followed your protocol, there sure would be. If I come home,
battery is partly discharged, I plug it in. I guess I'm supposed
to check every hour to see if it's charged so I can disconnect it?
Say I come back two
hours later, it's charged, now I want to use the PC, keep it powered
on for the rest of the day. What do I do if I don't take the battery out?
If I leave it on for 6 more hours with the battery in, it's continuing
to charge it.

If it loses power, just
plug in while you use it then unplug it until next time.

Again though, with a good battery - once it reaches full charge,
unplug it for longest battery life.

I find it hard to believe that in 2019 PCs that have billions of transistors
and all kinds of software, don't have the means built in to charge a
simple battery correctly. I mean companies like SmartTender make little $25
battery chargers with some limited electronics that can charge a battery
and then keep it charged without ruining it, but a $500 laptop can't?
I mean how hard is it for a 50 cent IC to monitor the charging and if
the battery is fully charged, stop charging it?