Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Anyone figure out how to block robocalls?

On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/19 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Get a phone or a caller ID box that has a call block feature. Then
enter robo call numbers as you get them.

This one is great for older folks with reduced hearing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 16 Oct 2019 18:04:03 GMT, KenK wrote:

On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

The answering machine is my first line of defense. Robo callers
usually hang up on the machine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Landline! LOL

What a ****ing idiot!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 2:18 PM, Tele Tubby wrote:
On 10/16/2019 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it
more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't
have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Landline!Â* LOL

What a ****ing idiot!!

What a jackass you are. Some places do not get good cell reception,
some alarm systems need a land line.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 2:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/16/2019 2:18 PM, Tele Tubby wrote:
On 10/16/2019 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making
it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines
don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Landline!Â* LOL

What a ****ing idiot!!

What a jackass you are.Â* Some places do not get good cell reception,
some alarm systems need a land line.

Â* Down here in The Holler we don't even get TV signal , much less
cellular . Our landline with internet costs us less than most contract
cellphone with data plans . And we like it like that .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 3:34 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Same here. While tower is probably only 2 miles away there is a hill
between us. I also get VoIP. Idiots may be the ones paying regular land
line prices. The phone company will screw you like that even if
connection is via fiber. I just got rid of one like that. I used it for
business but was it fully paid for by a client. It required paying
extra for long distance service and even caller id and call block. What
a rip off.

As for question of blocking robocalls, I think the phone company should
do it as they must know who is forging names and numbers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 3:43 PM, Frank wrote:
On 10/16/2019 3:34 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 10/16/2019 2:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Same here.Â* While tower is probably only 2 miles away there is a hill
between us. I also get VoIP.Â* Idiots may be the ones paying regular land
line prices.Â* The phone company will screw you like that even if
connection is via fiber.Â* I just got rid of one like that. I used it for
business but was it fully paid for by a client.Â* It required paying
extra for long distance service and even caller id and call block.Â* What
a rip off.

As for question of blocking robocalls, I think the phone company should
do it as they must know who is forging names and numbers.

My phone company offer Nomorobo for free. It catches most of them on
one ring.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019 15:43:56 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

Dropping my land line would only save me about $11 since it is bundled
with my DSL. That includes free LD, Caller ID and about a dozen other
"features" I seldom, if ever, use. I have used call waiting and
conferencing a few times tho.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2019 12:12 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 10/16/2019 2:18 PM, Tele Tubby wrote:
On 10/16/2019 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Landline!Â* LOL

What a ****ing idiot!!

What a jackass you are.Â* Some places do not get good cell reception, some alarm systems need a land line.

Spoken like a truly dumb polack (correct spelling?).
Posted to alt.home.repair
% % is offline

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/19 1:13 PM, T wrote:
On 10/16/19 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it
more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't
have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Get a phone or a caller ID box that has a call block feature.Â* Then
enter robo call numbers as you get them.

I found it almost useless, except for blocking legitimate calls. The
junk callers change numbers too often. What I really needed was a device
with a whitelist, that blocks all numbers except those I want.

I now get one ring only on my home phone except for calls I want.

This one is great for older folks with reduced hearing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

--
69 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Jesus got stuck in the chimney flue. Jesus got stuck, we don't know
what to do. Now that virgin-born Jew is turning blue, Cause Jesus got
stuck in the flue."

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/19 1:18 PM, Tele Tubby wrote:
On 10/16/2019 11:04 AM, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it
more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't
have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Landline!Â* LOL

What a ****ing idiot!!

One important advantage with a landline is you get NAME on the caller
ID. This has allowed me to recognize most of the calls I didn't want to
answer like:

1. UR POLICE ASS
2. AUSTIN TX
3. BREASTCANCER
4. TOLL FREE CALL
5. SURVEY
6. EASTER SEALS
7. DENVER CO
8. IRM INC

#1 is a charity or scam, #3 probably is too

#6 is a real charity, probably trying to treat me like an ATM. My answer
will be NO.

#2, #4, and #7 are almost certainly junk calls

#5 may actually be that. I'm still not interested

#8 meaningless letters, probably junk too. I'll answer if I'm familiar
with such a company

Note that #1 was probably abbreviated to fit short CID displays

--
69 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Jesus got stuck in the chimney flue. Jesus got stuck, we don't know
what to do. Now that virgin-born Jew is turning blue, Cause Jesus got
stuck in the flue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/19 2:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

As for question of blocking robocalls, I think the phone company
should do it as they must know who is forging names and numbers.

My phone company offer Nomorobo for free.Â*Â* It catches most of them on
one ring.

Doesn't that block numbers that have already been reported? That'd miss
a lot since the junk callers keep spoofing different numbers.

--
69 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Jesus got stuck in the chimney flue. Jesus got stuck, we don't know
what to do. Now that virgin-born Jew is turning blue, Cause Jesus got
stuck in the flue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/19 5:48 PM, Frank wrote:

[snip]

My wife was doing that and accidentally blocked a client of mine.
Robo callers keep munging their numbers.Â* I've even had calls from myself.

I've had those too. When I'm out I get a call on my cellphone that
claims to come from my home phone. That bot does leave voicemail, which
seems to be a poor attempt to trick me into thinking I just called
voicemail. The fake voicemail sounds drunk.

--
69 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Jesus got stuck in the chimney flue. Jesus got stuck, we don't know
what to do. Now that virgin-born Jew is turning blue, Cause Jesus got
stuck in the flue."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Oct 2019 12:52:56 -0500, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 10/16/19 2:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

As for question of blocking robocalls, I think the phone company
should do it as they must know who is forging names and numbers.

My phone company offer Nomorobo for free.Â*Â* It catches most of them on
one ring.

Doesn't that block numbers that have already been reported? That'd miss
a lot since the junk callers keep spoofing different numbers.

There's no help for it. Sorry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/17/2019 1:52 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 10/16/19 2:52 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[snip]

As for question of blocking robocalls, I think the phone company
should do it as they must know who is forging names and numbers.

My phone company offer Nomorobo for free.Â*Â* It catches most of them on
one ring.

Doesn't that block numbers that have already been reported? That'd miss
a lot since the junk callers keep spoofing different numbers.

Catches about 80% or more. Not perfect, but helps. And it was free.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, October 16, 2019 at 1:04:09 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
On a landline. Most Google responses were for a cell phone. Making it more
difficult, I have answering machines in my home and adjacent office so
would need two of the devices or whatever. My answering machines don't have
any call blocking utilities. The phone service is CenturyLink.

Suggestions?

TIA.

Kill your Phone!

I have phone via the Internet via BasicTalk and a cheap flip phone IF and WHEN I need a mobile VOICE phone!

And I also Killed My Television years ago! BOOM! Gone! And I don't MISS IT!

John Kuthe...

#1 is a charity or scam, #3 probably is too

#6 is a real charity, probably trying to treat me like an ATM. My answer
will be NO.

#2, #4, and #7 are almost certainly junk calls

#5 may actually be that. I'm still not interested

#8 meaningless letters, probably junk too. I'll answer if I'm familiar
with such a company

With the preponderance of scam callers, seems it would be better to just
send all strangers to voicemail. Sounds like you're still having to make
a response to their ringing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/19 9:50 AM, M. L. wrote:

[snip]

With the preponderance of scam callers, seems it would be better to just
send all strangers to voicemail. Sounds like you're still having to make
a response to their ringing.

Just a look at the caller ID when I can, to recognize legitimate
callers. Works with home phone, because of the NAME display.

--
66 days until the winter celebration (Wed, Dec 25, 2019 12:00:00 AM for
1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"To rule by fettering the mind through fear of punishment in another
world, is just as base as to use force." -- Hypatia (c. 370-415 CE)