Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Re-cording bench grinder

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

Your email address suggests you are a "scientist". Change that
first; then go buy a new grinder at the store and give it your
neighbor so you don't get hurt.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:20:13 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

The neutral will be the side of that zip cord with the ridges on it.
If you look at the receptacle, it is the slot that is wider. If you
remember that you can't go wrong. The hot wire goes through the switch
and the neutral connects directly to the motor leads.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:30:39 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

Thanks. I do not think that it matters for an AC motor.

I believe it does with DC motors.

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

The neutral will be the side of that zip cord with the ridges on it.
If you look at the receptacle, it is the slot that is wider. If you
remember that you can't go wrong. The hot wire goes through the switch
and the neutral connects directly to the motor leads.

Thanks.

I did that and the grinder is working great and rotating in the right direction.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 08:42:51 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:30:39 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

Thanks. I do not think that it matters for an AC motor.

I believe it does with DC motors.

Andy

When it matters on an AC motor is when you have something like the
typical "6 wire" motor and you are presented with 3 or 4 of them. The
arrangement of the pairs will reverse direction.

Drum switch
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/6%20...w%20wiring.jpg

DPDT switch (or 2 relays)
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/paul%20boat%20lift.jpg