DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Re-cording bench grinder (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/637171-re-cording-bench-grinder.html)

A K July 2nd 19 05:20 AM

Re-cording bench grinder

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

Bill[_91_] July 2nd 19 05:43 AM

Re-cording bench grinder

A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

Your email address suggests you are a "scientist". Change that
first; then go buy a new grinder at the store and give it your
neighbor so you don't get hurt.

Davej July 2nd 19 04:30 PM

Re-cording bench grinder

On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

[email protected] July 2nd 19 06:39 PM

Re-cording bench grinder

On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 21:20:13 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

The neutral will be the side of that zip cord with the ridges on it.
If you look at the receptacle, it is the slot that is wider. If you
remember that you can't go wrong. The hot wire goes through the switch
and the neutral connects directly to the motor leads.

A K July 3rd 19 04:42 PM

Re-cording bench grinder

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:30:39 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

Thanks. I do not think that it matters for an AC motor.

I believe it does with DC motors.

Andy

A K July 3rd 19 04:43 PM

Re-cording bench grinder

wrote:

I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.

Green ground wire goes from cord to ground screw on the grinder housing.

I did not write down which wire went to ground and which goes to the hot
wire.

I believe the wheel should turn counter clockwise.

I used a meter to check continuity and find out where the hot and neutral wires go.

Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

Andy

The neutral will be the side of that zip cord with the ridges on it.
If you look at the receptacle, it is the slot that is wider. If you
remember that you can't go wrong. The hot wire goes through the switch
and the neutral connects directly to the motor leads.

Thanks.

I did that and the grinder is working great and rotating in the right direction.

Andy

[email protected] July 3rd 19 05:52 PM

Re-cording bench grinder

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019 08:42:51 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Tuesday, July 2, 2019 at 10:30:39 AM UTC-5, Davej wrote:
On Monday, July 1, 2019 at 11:20:17 PM UTC-5, A K wrote:
I am replacing the switch to my 6 inch bench grinder.

The wires going to the motor housing are both white.
[...]
Could someone tell which goes where?

https://imgur.com/rzKPqqw

I doubt it matters. Why do you think we would need a photo
of the AC plug? You want the switch connected to the "hot"
lead. The "hot" lead is the narrower prong or black wire.

Thanks. I do not think that it matters for an AC motor.

I believe it does with DC motors.

Andy

When it matters on an AC motor is when you have something like the
typical "6 wire" motor and you are presented with 3 or 4 of them. The
arrangement of the pairs will reverse direction.

Drum switch
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/6%20...w%20wiring.jpg

DPDT switch (or 2 relays)
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/paul%20boat%20lift.jpg