Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Harbort Freign Grinder/wet grinder

hello,

I am a new woodturner and also a woodworker and I am in the market for a
grinder/sharpening tool.

HF has these 2 products on sale:

a combo wet/dry grinder for $59

and a 8" dry grinder with a lamp (8" version of this one) for $49

What do you think is the most usefull? the wet grinder seems a better deal
as the large wet store can be really usefull and is usually a finer grit
than dry stones... but looking at various websites, it looks like most
people use only dry grinders...

any comments?

regards, cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

I am a new woodturner and also a woodworker and I am in the market for a
grinder/sharpening tool.

HF has these 2 products on sale:

a combo wet/dry grinder for $59

and a 8" dry grinder with a lamp (8" version of this one) for $49

What do you think is the most usefull? the wet grinder seems a better deal
as the large wet store can be really usefull and is usually a finer grit
than dry stones... but looking at various websites, it looks like most
people use only dry grinders...

any comments?

The wet stone stays cool, keeping your steel from burning
or being otherwise damaged. That said, I use a cheap, made in
Taiwan, 8", 1/2 speed dry grinder with a soft, 60 grit, vitrified bond
white alox wheel and have no problems so long as I don't grind to
a feather edge. As for a finer wheel, I replaced the 120 grit
wheel with a felt buff for stropping off wire edges.

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

hello,

I am a new woodturner and also a woodworker and I am in the market for a
grinder/sharpening tool.

HF has these 2 products on sale:

a combo wet/dry grinder for $59

and a 8" dry grinder with a lamp (8" version of this one) for $49

What do you think is the most usefull? the wet grinder seems a better deal
as the large wet store can be really usefull and is usually a finer grit
than dry stones... but looking at various websites, it looks like most
people use only dry grinders...

any comments?

regards, cyrille

I use this grinder and freehand grind on the wet wheel. The real question
is not how to use this machine, but what is the right machine for you.

Most folks prefer to use some version of the Wolverine grinding jig.
Reason? They get consistant grinds and a good edge. If you are not
comfortable with doing freehand grinds, do the following:

1. Buy a good 8" or 10" grinder
2. Put either the white, pink or blue, Al oxide wheels on it.
3. Buy a Wolverine jig and attach to grinder.

You will be very pleased with the results and you can count on the results
being consistant.

Deb