Posted to rec.woodworking
Father Haskell Father Haskell is offline

Default Harbort Freign Grinder/wet grinder

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

I am a new woodturner and also a woodworker and I am in the market for a
grinder/sharpening tool.

HF has these 2 products on sale:

a combo wet/dry grinder for $59

and a 8" dry grinder with a lamp (8" version of this one) for $49

What do you think is the most usefull? the wet grinder seems a better deal
as the large wet store can be really usefull and is usually a finer grit
than dry stones... but looking at various websites, it looks like most
people use only dry grinders...

any comments?

The wet stone stays cool, keeping your steel from burning
or being otherwise damaged. That said, I use a cheap, made in
Taiwan, 8", 1/2 speed dry grinder with a soft, 60 grit, vitrified bond
white alox wheel and have no problems so long as I don't grind to
a feather edge. As for a finer wheel, I replaced the 120 grit
wheel with a felt buff for stropping off wire edges.