Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flanged Grip for Walking Stick

I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.

The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.

Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.

A flanged grip would be similar to this:

http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm

The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk. Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12 Jun 2019 23:04:33 GMT, "F. Russell" wrote:

I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.
The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.
Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.
A flanged grip would be similar to this:
http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm
The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk. Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.
Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

Walking sticks / Hiking sticks are all-the-rage
in recent years.
Now seen in the discount /surplus stores for $ 9. or so.

They are made of aluminum and have the
3-section-twist-adjustment for length.

Sometimes a compass and thermometer attached !
... with anti-shock spring and camera mount !
... not to mention the ice pick !

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40725,45454

If I were looking for a flanged grip for a home-made wooden stick -
I would start at the local thrift shop - and check out the
ski poles ! downhill sli poles have a big flange.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/2019 6:46 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â* At your local Harley dealer , Harley's have 1" diameter handlebars .
Many times buyers/owners will install new grips , sometimes the dealers
will keep the old ones and sell as used . An independent cycle shop
might be a good place to ask too .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/12/19 9:05 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 6/12/2019 6:46 PM, wrote:
On 12 Jun 2019 23:04:33 GMT, "F. Russell" wrote:

I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.
The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.
Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.
A flanged grip would be similar to this:
http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm
The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk.Â* Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.
Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

Â*Â* Walking sticksÂ* /Â* Hiking sticksÂ*Â* areÂ* all-the-rage
Â* in recent years.
Now seen in the discount /surplus storesÂ* forÂ* $ 9.Â* or so.

They are made of aluminumÂ* andÂ* have the
Â*Â*Â* 3-section-twist-adjustmentÂ* forÂ* length.

SometimesÂ* aÂ* compass and thermometerÂ* attachedÂ* !
.. withÂ* anti-shockÂ* springÂ*Â* andÂ*Â* camera mount !
.. not to mention theÂ* ice pickÂ* !

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40725,45454

If I were looking for a flanged grip for a home-made wooden stickÂ* -
I would start at the local thrift shopÂ* -Â* andÂ* check out the
Â* ski polesÂ* !Â*Â*Â* downhill sli polesÂ* haveÂ* aÂ* big flange.
Â*Â*Â* John T.

Â* At your local Harley dealer , Harley's have 1" diameter handlebars .
Many times buyers/owners will install new grips , sometimes the dealers
will keep the old ones and sell as used . An independent cycle shop
might be a good place to ask too .

And Ebay has a bunch of Harley grips. A lot of those are in the
$10-20 range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 21:05:55 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

Harley's have 1" diameter handlebars .

This just might work.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 07:08:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

And Ebay has a bunch of Harley grips. A lot of those are in the
$10-20 range.

A quick search shows this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6IVBRS...A3EA23IACJZX29

The flanges, though, are made from a soft synthetic rubber
and may not provide enough resistance for downward force.

But since they are sold as a pair, I can cut off the flange
portion from one grip and attach in a reversed manner underneath
the other grip as a support. That may give the rigidity that
I want.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"F. Russell" writes:
I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.

The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.

Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.

A flanged grip would be similar to this:

http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm

The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk. Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

You can always reduce the diamater of the top end of the dowel
sufficient to fit your chosen handle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/13/2019 8:06 AM, F. Russell wrote:
On Thu, 13 Jun 2019 07:08:07 -0500, Dean Hoffman wrote:

And Ebay has a bunch of Harley grips. A lot of those are in the
$10-20 range.

A quick search shows this one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6IVBRS...A3EA23IACJZX29

The flanges, though, are made from a soft synthetic rubber
and may not provide enough resistance for downward force.

But since they are sold as a pair, I can cut off the flange
portion from one grip and attach in a reversed manner underneath
the other grip as a support. That may give the rigidity that
I want.

Â* Might want to check that . The right grip is usually on a plastic
sleeve that also carries the attachments for the throttle cables . It
will have a stiffer flange .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

F. Russell posted for all of us...

I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.

The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.

Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.

A flanged grip would be similar to this:

http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm

The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk. Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.

Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

Bicycle shop?

--
Tekkie

Walking Stick/ Cane Question JD[_2_] Woodturning 15 July 21st 08 08:58 PM
Custom Walking Stick for a Custom Head. [email protected] Woodworking 7 November 8th 06 05:06 PM
ISO ornamental nails for a walking stick Jonathan Sachs Woodworking 4 January 13th 06 09:19 PM
Walking stick parts justme Woodworking 5 March 25th 05 12:07 PM
Steel Flanged Bearing Sleeve [email protected] Metalworking 6 March 21st 05 10:15 PM