Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Flanged Grip for Walking Stick

On 6/12/2019 6:46 PM, wrote:
On 12 Jun 2019 23:04:33 GMT, "F. Russell" wrote:

I want to make a simple and straight walking stick from
a 1 inch diameter wooden dowel.
The stick will be straight, that is there are no bends
for a hand grip.
Rather that relying on friction alone to grip the stick
I want to add a flanged grip that will allow me to
apply a downward force to the stick without using friction.
A flanged grip would be similar to this:
http://www.gripworks.com/injection_m...ered_grips.htm
The problem is that these grips are not the correct size
and must be purchased in bulk. Bicycle handlebar grips
are also too small in diameter to fit a 1" dowel and
are also not rigid enough to withstand the force applied.
Does anyone know where I can obtain such a rigid flanged grip
that will fit over a 1" dowel?

Walking sticks / Hiking sticks are all-the-rage
in recent years.
Now seen in the discount /surplus stores for $ 9. or so.

They are made of aluminum and have the
3-section-twist-adjustment for length.

Sometimes a compass and thermometer attached !
.. with anti-shock spring and camera mount !
.. not to mention the ice pick !

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...=2,40725,45454

If I were looking for a flanged grip for a home-made wooden stick -
I would start at the local thrift shop - and check out the
ski poles ! downhill sli poles have a big flange.
John T.

Â* At your local Harley dealer , Harley's have 1" diameter handlebars .
Many times buyers/owners will install new grips , sometimes the dealers
will keep the old ones and sell as used . An independent cycle shop
might be a good place to ask too .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old