Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil for Hunter Original Ceiling Fans

Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2019 2:15 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?

I would do the same. OEM stuff is sometimes better but they have
defined this oil as a general automotive product.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2019 2:15 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?

You can be sure Hunter does not operate an oil refinery. They are just
packaging a basic oil like you have. Damned right I'd use it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I have a 1947 42 inch metal blade Hunter. Have used over the counter
automotive 10w ND in it since we moved it in 1973 and it still runs
smooth and quiet.

--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oil for Hunter Original Ceiling Fans-- RESOLVED

On 5/20/19 2:15 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?

Thanks, all. I think I'll use the stuff in the quart bottle!

--
Results of a poll taken in California asking whetherÂ*people who live
there think the huge influx of illegal aliens is a serious problem:

substitute for hunter ceiling fan oil The Handiman Home Repair 3 April 16th 21 06:45 PM
Hunter Ceiling Fan no lnger works gary Home Repair 23 January 14th 13 04:37 PM
Hunter Original Fan AL Home Repair 4 June 3rd 10 12:44 AM
Hunter Ceiling Fan Supported by Canopy or hanger rod? [email protected] Home Ownership 2 July 4th 05 03:55 PM
Hunter ceiling fan replacement switch -- do I snip wires and stab into new unit? Dolchas Home Repair 1 September 26th 04 07:48 PM