Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Hunter Ceiling Fan Supported by Canopy or hanger rod?

I am installing a Hunter ceiling fan on a slanting ceiling in my
bedroom. Following the instructions to the letter. Hung the fan and am
trying to hook the canopy to the ceiling plate. I find that the hanger
rod which hooks into the ceiling plate is longer than the depth of the
canopy, so it will become unhooked when I secure the canopy.

This seems strange. It seemed to me the load of the fan would be borne
by the hook and not by the canopy screws directly. Am I doing something
wrong or are parts defective?

Please let me know if this is common with this or other branded fans,
and is nothing to worry about.

Regards

Chip C

I am installing a Hunter ceiling fan on a slanting ceiling in my
bedroom. Following the instructions to the letter. Hung the fan and am
trying to hook the canopy to the ceiling plate. I find that the hanger
rod which hooks into the ceiling plate is longer than the depth of the
canopy, so it will become unhooked when I secure the canopy.

This seems strange. It seemed to me the load of the fan would be borne
by the hook and not by the canopy screws directly. Am I doing something
wrong or are parts defective?

Please let me know if this is common with this or other branded fans,
and is nothing to worry about.

Regards

I put up a Hunter fan on a flat ceiling a few weeks ago. Yes, when the
canopy is installed it takes the weight of the fan, but the hook should
not come completely unhooked, it just lifts a little. When you ever
take the canopy off, the hook should engage again to take the weight of
the fan.

If you follow the instructions there's a little bit just before you
engage the canopy where you turn the fan a half-turn on the hook;
assuming you do this (and assuming you initially engaged the hook in
just the right way) the hook behaves as it's supposed to. The
instructions are relative to arrows engraved and stickered onto the
various pieces, but there is room for (mis-)interpretation for sure.
The ring that goes against the ceiling has an arrow that is supposed to
face "uphill", so check that too. I believe that puts the hook loop on
the high side.

You might also make sure you have a sloped-ceiling canopy and that your
slope does not exceed its design limits. I believe the one in the
package is for flat ceilings only; I saw the optional canopy at the
shop when I bought mine.

Big caveat: I haven't taken my canopy off yet. I might be in for a
nasty surprise.

Chip C
Toronto