Posted to alt.home.repair
Wade Garrett Wade Garrett is offline

Default Oil for Hunter Original Ceiling Fans

Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?