Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr.E Mr.E is offline

Default Oil for Hunter Original Ceiling Fans

I have a 1947 42 inch metal blade Hunter. Have used over the counter
automotive 10w ND in it since we moved it in 1973 and it still runs
smooth and quiet.

On Mon, 20 May 2019 14:15:01 -0400, Wade Garrett
wrote:

Hunter Original ceiling fans have an oil reserve that lubricates them
during use, The oil level needs to be checked periodically with a home
made pipe cleaner dip stick. Hunter says to use SAE 10 non-detergent
oil- which they sell in one ounce tubes for eight bucks a pop.

I've got a number of those fans in my house and several of them need
oil. I thought to use some from an unopened quart of name brand SAE 10
non-detergent oil that I bought for a couple of bucks a year or so back,
rather than go into debt to buy theirs.

I haven't been able to get a response from the Hunter Customer
No-Service folks for the last 10 days or so but it's getting hot now and
I want to start using the fans.

Whaddya think about topping them up with the cheaper stuff?

--
Mr.E