Old May 13th 19, 09:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default buying dehumidifer with extended warranty

Dehumidifiers have become consumables lately - they don't last, and you can't repair them.

But I'm considering getting one with an extended warranty. Has anyone had luck with these? Do they pay off on the failed unit, or does it end up costing me more to ship it somewhere than to buy a new one?

Old May 13th 19, 10:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, May 13, 2019 at 4:10:12 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
Dehumidifiers have become consumables lately - they don't last, and you can't repair them.

But I'm considering getting one with an extended warranty. Has anyone had luck with these? Do they pay off on the failed unit, or does it end up costing me more to ship it somewhere than to buy a new one?

I've shared my story here several times. Needed a new one, did research
online and found one online that was a good deal, I don't remember the
exact price, might have been like $140 with shipping. I also went to
the local appliance dealer, PC Richards and they had the same unit.
So we negotiated. They offered something like $160 with an additional
2 year warranty. Normally I don't like extended warranties, but when it
was just $20 more than the online deal and knowing that these units don't
last I said yes. Good thing, because sometime in year two, it quit.

So, I go back and of course it's not as simple as you'd hope. They no
longer have the same unit or a similar one of the same capacity. That
they did have was maybe 20% higher capacity. So, I had two choices.
One was leave the failed one for repair and they have no idea how long
that will take. The other was to hand over about $30 for the higher
capacity unit, which I did. So, it definitely turned out worthwhile
for me. I'd look at what the warranty costs and evaluate if it makes
sense, knowing these things fail pretty quickly.
Old May 14th 19, 03:51 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2019 4:47 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

I would also suggest making the purchase with a credit card that
provides a full, extended warranty that kicks in after the
manufacturer's warranty expires.

The only extended warranties I've ever paid for were for big ticket
items like a HD flatscreen television or refrigerator - both of which
were well over $2k purchase price.

Oh, and the extended next day on site repair/replace warranty from Dell
for my son-in-laws computer network for his dental practice. There are
certain things that are mission critical and that system is one of them.
For the security and peace of mind that warranty provides, the cost is
really nominal over, I think, a four or five year term.
Old May 14th 19, 01:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/19 4:10 PM, TimR wrote:
Dehumidifiers have become consumables lately - they don't last, and you can't repair them.

But I'm considering getting one with an extended warranty. Has anyone had luck with these? Do they pay off on the failed unit, or does it end up costing me more to ship it somewhere than to buy a new one?

I've purchased two extended warranties in my life and was phucked both times.¬* I've learned my lesson so I'd never buy another one.

Anyway, the typical $200 dehumidifier lasts about three years so they average out to ~$70/yr.¬* I just buy a new one when they puke.

Old May 14th 19, 01:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 May 2019 13:10:07 -0700 (PDT), TimR
wrote:

Dehumidifiers have become consumables lately - they don't last, and you can't repair them.

But I'm considering getting one with an extended warranty. Has anyone had luck with these? Do they pay off on the failed unit, or does it end up costing me more to ship it somewhere than to buy a new one?

In the past several years I have only had one dehumidifier that lasted
a little over two years. All the rest have failed in the first or
second year. So I purchase them now at Lowes, with the two-year
extended warranty (which extends the factory 1-year providing a total
of three). Lowe's has now replaced three for me, with no hassle. This
is the only product for which I buy a warranty.

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides
a nice contrast to the real world.

Old May 14th 19, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/13/2019 4:10 PM, TimR wrote:
Dehumidifiers have become consumables lately - they don't last, and you can't repair them.

But I'm considering getting one with an extended warranty. Has anyone had luck with these? Do they pay off on the failed unit, or does it end up costing me more to ship it somewhere than to buy a new one?

Extended warranties always benefit the seller, not the buyer. The few
that I have bought never paid off on any of them.