Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default buying dehumidifer with extended warranty

On Tuesday, May 14, 2019 at 10:43:14 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Tue, 14 May 2019 10:57:10 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article , lcgh-
says...

In the past several years I have only had one dehumidifier that lasted
a little over two years. All the rest have failed in the first or
second year. So I purchase them now at Lowes, with the two-year
extended warranty (which extends the factory 1-year providing a total
of three). Lowe's has now replaced three for me, with no hassle. This
is the only product for which I buy a warranty.

Just about everyone I have talked to has only gotten two to three years
out of the dehumidifiers if that long.

I never had one, so do not undestand why they do not last. They are
just air conditioners or refrigerators in a sense. Those last for many
years.

It's because nobody puts out enough cash to buy a decent one. I
haven't gotten less than 10 years out of one yet. All 3 have been
decent quality units - and they run all summer and in the winter when
my wife hangs clothes in the laundry room. They ARE in a clean
environment. If you let the coils get coated in lint and crap I guess
they would fail - I used to clean the coils on the electrohomes every
2 years or so - have not cleaned the GE yet

IDK, when I was last looking a few years ago, the price range wasn't
that big, they were ~$150 among recognized brand names. I didn't
see one that cost $250 claiming to last longer. Also, you can get
air conditioners for $100 and I don't see people claiming that they
only last two or three years. But IDK, haven't bought any of those.
Bottom line, I'd do extra research before buying one, make sure to
look at reviews on Amazon and elsewhere online.