Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sears Extended Warranty story

I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

The Bosch dishwasher worked great for the first year. After then, the
dishwasher left particles on the dishes and on the interior walls of the
dishwasher. The dishes weren't coming out too clean either and they had
to be hand washed after they came out of the dishwasher.

I called Sears. A tech came out and they told me the dishwasher was
working fine. I showed them some example dirty dishes and he told me I
was adding too much soap. Another tech told me I needed to alternate
between power soap and gel.

I greatly cut back on the soap but the dishes still came out dirty. I
started washing the dishes by hand before putting them in the
dishwasher. The dishes were coming out dirtier than when they went in.

After about a half dozen service calls and one technician who seemed to
enjoy screaming at me I called up Sears and canceled the extended
warranty of the dishwasher. While I was at it, I canceled 5 other
extended warranties.

I searched for some answers on the Internet. I know the water is really
hard here (I only drink bottled water) so I used CLR and ran it through
the dishwasher and let it soak overnight.

Dishes still didn't come out clean. I took the dishwasher outlet hose
off of the garbage disposal and ran the hose into a bucket at ground
level to make sure that the water was being properly evacuated. Water
was coming out forcefully.

I ran the dishwasher again with two bottles of CLR. I first scooped out
the water from the dishwasher so that the CLR was barely diluted. I ran
the dishwasher for awhile then paused it and let the CLR soak overnight.
I drained and rinsed several times. Then I ran the dishwasher with a few
cups of vinegar.

Dishes are now coming out spotlessly and I got back a few hundred
dollars from Sears and won't pay a small fortune when I would have had
to renew in a few months. And I won't have to deal with the screaming
technician anymore.

Sears Extended Warranties used to be very good but since they've been
bought out by K-Mart the service is now awful.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 5:43�pm, Julie wrote:
[...]

Sears service SUCKS!

Its WAY overpriced too.

My bosch does the dirty dish thing occsionally.

Make CERTAIN the spray arms are spraying well, check both filters the
top one tends to clog

The arms get debris in them too.

clogged system should of been easy for techs.

Although they are under GREAT pressure to do X number of clls per day,
like 13, so they dont have much time and that ends up requiring
multiple calls

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears service SUCKS!

Its WAY overpriced too.

My bosch does the dirty dish thing occsionally.

Make CERTAIN the spray arms are spraying well, check both filters the
top one tends to clog

The arms get debris in them too.

clogged system should of been easy for techs.

Although they are under GREAT pressure to do X number of clls per day,
like 13, so they dont have much time and that ends up requiring
multiple calls

I took off both spray arms and checked them out. They were clear of any
particles. I opened the dishwasher while it was running and the water
came shooting out of the dishwasher so I'm pretty confident that the
water pressure is strong. I could also see the arms coming to a stop.

This Bosch dishwasher model doesn't have a top filter. I cleaned the
filters and unscrewed some parts below the filter to ensure that there
wasn't anything that might be clogging.

As far as I can tell, the only problem that I had was dissolved solids
accumulating somewhere in the dishwasher. I put some CLR in the toilet
tank that was disgustingly grungy and let it soak overnight. The next
day the water tank was totally white.

Why Sears service didn't tell me about the hard water problem to begin
with is a mystery to me. I've only lived here for two years and I've
never had to deal with hard water before. I now use only distilled
water in the coffee maker.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom tom is offline

"Julie" wrote in message
I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

The Bosch dishwasher worked great for the first year. After then, the
dishwasher left particles on the dishes and on the interior walls of the
dishwasher. The dishes weren't coming out too clean either and they had
to be hand washed after they came out of the dishwasher.

SNIP

Sears Extended Warranties used to be very good but since they've been
bought out by K-Mart the service is now awful.

Most of the time one comes out ahead by taking the $ that would have gone to
extended warrantees and banking it to be used to pay for repairs in the
event of a break down. Most appliances break down under the original factory
warranty if they're going to.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie" wrote in message

I've only lived here for two years and I've
never had to deal with hard water before. I now use only distilled
water in the coffee maker.

Distilled water is not to good for making coffee. If your water tastes
good, then go ahead and drink it. If you boil your water you can
precipitate out a big chunk of the hardness before making coffee.

Distilled water kind of acts like a sponge when making coffee and soaks up a
lot of the stuff better left in the grounds.

If you find the taste of your water not to your liking bottled water is OK,
but you will probably find that distilled water is probably better for your
steam iron or your car battery.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 4, 6:45�pm, "Roger Shoaf" wrote:
"Julie" wrote in message

*I've only lived here for two years and I've

never had to deal with hard water before. *I now use only distilled
water in the coffee maker.

Distilled water is not to good for making coffee. *If your water tastes
good, then go ahead and drink it. *If you boil your water you can
precipitate out a big chunk of the hardness before making coffee.

Distilled water kind of acts like a sponge when making coffee and soaks up a
lot of the stuff better left in the grounds.

If you find the taste of your water not to your liking bottled water is OK,
but you will probably find that distilled water is probably better for your
steam iron or your car battery.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Bosch dishwashers are GREAT but the least reliable both by consumer
reports and my experience.

parts are expensive modules,, however they are the quietest machine I
have EVER seen, you can barely hear ours running.

I used to fall asleep to the old machine dreaming I was at the beach,
the waves coming in

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:
I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

I am sorry I can't offer you any help with the dishwasher, but I do
suggest that you "Just Say No" to anyone who wants to sell you an extended
warranty. They are very poor investments.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia 's Muire duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:
[...]

Hi,
Living in a hard water area and no softener?
Posted to alt.home.repair

http://www.brainchampagne.com/Sears.html

Will let you know all the problems I've had with Sears and my central
A/C.

I will NEVER shop at Sears again for anything.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
Today's robots like techs are so well trained, they don't know the
very basic common sense problems such as hard water issues. Anyhow
I do most of repairs myself. Never bought extended warranty.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:

[...]

Well, this wasn't really an item that should be covered under Extended
Warranty. It's regular maintenance, like an oil change or a car wash &
detailing... you don't expect Toyota, BMW, or Honda to pick up those
expenses.

You are responsible for the cleaning of the machine and the softness of
the water supply, not them.

You were right to cancel your Extended Warranties. They are generally
expensive for what you get.

Rob
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Julie" wrote in message
I called Sears. A tech came out and they told me the dishwasher was
working fine. I showed them some example dirty dishes and he told me I was
adding too much soap. Another tech told me I needed to alternate between
power soap and gel.

Idiots. A good reason not to shop at Sears.

Sears Extended Warranties used to be very good but since they've been
bought out by K-Mart the service is now awful.

Put the warranty money in a bank account and you will come out way ahead.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Another common problem on Bosch it it goes dead. Check the connection
between the house ac and dishwasher. Wire nuts often get burndt for no
apparent reason. Replace and you are back in business.

"Julie" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie writes:

I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

The problem you describe was a problem with Sears service,
not the warranty.

They make cleaners for dishwashers, I don't know if they
are any better than CLR.

In my opinion, no warranty is ever worth the money.
That warranty is nothing more than insurance.
Would you insure a pair of gloves?

The purpose of insurance is to protect you from losses
you can't afford. You couldn't afford to replace your
house if it burns down so in that case you buy insurance.
You can afford to replace the dishwasher so getting insurance
is on it is a losing proposition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:

I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

The Bosch dishwasher worked great for the first year. After then, the
dishwasher left particles on the dishes and on the interior walls of the
dishwasher. The dishes weren't coming out too clean either and they had
to be hand washed after they came out of the dishwasher.

I called Sears. A tech came out and they told me the dishwasher was
working fine. I showed them some example dirty dishes and he told me I
was adding too much soap. Another tech told me I needed to alternate
between power soap and gel.

Whenever a tech does something like that, it always means they're
incompetent and wrong. I live where the water is very hard, and we
have no softener (corrodes water heaters), but our approx. 10-year-old
Kenmore/Whirlpool dishwasher never exhibited the problem you
experienced.

www.applianceaid.com and www.fixitnow.com are two really good
appliance websites with Q&A forums.

Sears Extended Warranties used to be very good but since they've been
bought out by K-Mart the service is now awful.

It didn't start with Kmart because long before the merger, the CBS
news magazine 48 Hours (back in the days when they were still doing
stories that didn't involve murder) aired an episode about customer
service that showed the problems one family had with their all-Sears
kitchen and the extended warranties covering everything. Sears had
made repeated service calls over several months without fixing
anything, but after Sears was contacted by the program, suddenly
repairs were made, appliances were replaced, and several hundred
dollars was refunded.

My father has hated Sears service for decades, and when I was young I
remember him fixing a fairly new Sears brand TV after it came back
from their Phoenix service center unrepaired (the TV still works!) for
the second or third time. So when I bought a new Kenmore washer a
year ago and it had a chipped tub, I immediately exchanged it rather
than risk repair.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Art wrote:

Actually Sears overprice extended warranties cover routine maintence.

That's a service contract, not an extended warranty, then. Sears should
have treated the condition, then, or advised the owner how to address it.

They still would not have control over the water quality, except to sell
them a water softener.

Rob

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...

Julie wrote:

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Julie wrote:
Why Sears service didn't tell me about the hard water problem to begin
with is a mystery to me. I've only lived here for two years and I've
never had to deal with hard water before. I now use only distilled
water in the coffee maker.

We switched to distilled for coffee and general water drinking a few
years ago. Within a few weeks, I had more cavities than I'd had in the
past ten years. Now we use Brita filters and descale the coffeepot
regularly.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 5, 10:41 am, "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

... I live where the water is very hard, and we
have nosoftener(corrodes water heaters), but our approx. 10-year-old
Kenmore/Whirlpool dishwasher never exhibited the problem you
experienced.

Softened water does not cause corrosion of water heaters nor create an
environment for corrosion.

Softened water extends the life of all types of water heaters; oil,
gas, electric tank type or tankless or domestic coil.

Hardness scale formation in a water heater increases the cost of
operation by using more fuel/electric to heat the scale before water
can be heated, it increases the time it takes to heat water and
prevents the heater from raising the temp as high as it would normally
so you use more warmish water. The scale build up then causes the tank
to fail and possibly expensive water damage but at least premature
water heater failure.

In the mean time all the things you launder or wash in hard water
wears out sooner (including your skin) while you use more detergents,
cleansers, shampoo and 'soaps' whle causing more cleaning of surfaces
the water evaporates on and hard water makes cleaning everything more
difficult and more frequent.

There are many hidden costs to living with water hardness of over 3-4
gpg (grains per gallon).

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:24:21 -0600, clifto wrote:

Julie wrote:
Why Sears service didn't tell me about the hard water problem to begin
with is a mystery to me. I've only lived here for two years and I've
never had to deal with hard water before. I now use only distilled
water in the coffee maker.

We switched to distilled for coffee and general water drinking a few
years ago. Within a few weeks, I had more cavities than I'd had in the
past ten years. Now we use Brita filters and descale the coffeepot
regularly.

I can see a lack of taste, but why cavities?

My friend only drinks distilled water. When he visits, that's his
only request. Should I ask him if there are side effects?

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote:
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 16:24:21 -0600, clifto wrote:
We switched to distilled for coffee and general water drinking a few
years ago. Within a few weeks, I had more cavities than I'd had in the
past ten years. Now we use Brita filters and descale the coffeepot
regularly.

I can see a lack of taste, but why cavities?

I'm guessing lack of fluoride. Returning to tap water stopped the sudden
onset of cavities, in any event. I do note that a few places sell a few
brands that offer fluoridated drinking water in bottles.

--
Martians drive SUVs! http://oregonmag.com/MarsWarm307.html