Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Sears Extended Warranty story

Actually Sears overprice extended warranties cover routine maintence.

"trainfan1" wrote in message
et...
Julie wrote:

I have an extended warranty for my dishwasher from Sears.

The Bosch dishwasher worked great for the first year. After then, the
dishwasher left particles on the dishes and on the interior walls of the
dishwasher. The dishes weren't coming out too clean either and they had
to be hand washed after they came out of the dishwasher.

I called Sears. A tech came out and they told me the dishwasher was
working fine. I showed them some example dirty dishes and he told me I
was adding too much soap. Another tech told me I needed to alternate
between power soap and gel.

I greatly cut back on the soap but the dishes still came out dirty. I
started washing the dishes by hand before putting them in the dishwasher.
The dishes were coming out dirtier than when they went in.

After about a half dozen service calls and one technician who seemed to
enjoy screaming at me I called up Sears and canceled the extended
warranty of the dishwasher. While I was at it, I canceled 5 other
extended warranties.

I searched for some answers on the Internet. I know the water is really
hard here (I only drink bottled water) so I used CLR and ran it through
the dishwasher and let it soak overnight.

Dishes still didn't come out clean. I took the dishwasher outlet hose off
of the garbage disposal and ran the hose into a bucket at ground level to
make sure that the water was being properly evacuated. Water was coming
out forcefully.

I ran the dishwasher again with two bottles of CLR. I first scooped out
the water from the dishwasher so that the CLR was barely diluted. I ran
the dishwasher for awhile then paused it and let the CLR soak overnight.
I drained and rinsed several times. Then I ran the dishwasher with a few
cups of vinegar.

Dishes are now coming out spotlessly and I got back a few hundred dollars
from Sears and won't pay a small fortune when I would have had to renew
in a few months. And I won't have to deal with the screaming technician
anymore.

Sears Extended Warranties used to be very good but since they've been
bought out by K-Mart the service is now awful.

Well, this wasn't really an item that should be covered under Extended
Warranty. It's regular maintenance, like an oil change or a car wash &
detailing... you don't expect Toyota, BMW, or Honda to pick up those
expenses.

You are responsible for the cleaning of the machine and the softness of
the water supply, not them.

You were right to cancel your Extended Warranties. They are generally
expensive for what you get.

Rob