Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Doorbell chime

I had a doorbell with a digital chime . I replaced the doorbell with a
SimpliSafe video Doorbell . The new doorbell was not chiming the full tune
unless the doorbell switch is kept pressed. I researched online and found that
a diode across the doorbell switch terminal is to be provided to get the full
tune in one push of the switch. I checked the old doorbell switch and there
was indeed a diode (IN400. I took out the diode from the old door bell and
fitted across the new doorbell switch. The new doorbell switch now does not
chime at all. I removed the switch and just connect the terminal with a wire
across the diode. Still no chiming. I did the whole thing reversing the
terminal of the diode without any result. I took out the diode , and fitted
the new doorbell again, and it works as before , i.e chime only a part when
the switch is kept pressed. I talked with SimpliSafe. They told the doorbell
is not compatible with digital doorbell. Any suggestion about how to make the
doorbell work properly, i.e to play the full tune with one push of the
doorbell switch.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...e-1187493-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/2019 3:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
[...]
the switch is kept pressed.Â* I talked with SimpliSafe. They told the
doorbell is not compatible with digital doorbell. Any suggestion about
how to make the
doorbell work properly, i.e to play the full tune with one push of the
doorbell switch.

Change the doorbell to one that is compatible. Sure, you can get the
existing one to work with a couple of relays. diodes, or whatever, but
it can be a PITA.

Alternative: Keep the old button, add the new button, then put a sign,
please push both buttons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/19 2:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
[...]

Some sort of a time delay to mimic the switch being held in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/19 6:09 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 3/8/19 2:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* Some sort of a time delay to mimic the switch being held in.

Maybe something like this?
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/rs-pro/1026128/71188369/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:08:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

get a dpst relay. Operate the relay with the switch. Diode across one
set of contacts for the bell, not across the contacts for the video.

Really a simple installation

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/8/19 2:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
[...]

Major overkill where a simple double contact relay will do the job
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message
On 3/8/19 2:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
[...]

A properly designed digital chime should only need only the
bell press to trigger the playing of the entire tune, with maybe
a switch to specify that you want that action, or to only play
while the button is actually pressed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 10 Mar 2019 05:19:22 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

Some sort of a time delay to mimic the switch being held in.

A properly designed digital chime

Now ALSO an expert in chimes, you all-knowing, senile Ozzie asshole? LOL

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 8, 2019 at 2:44:07 PM UTC-6, Swapad wrote:
[...]

Did you check the wiring dia. Many of your older door bells were wired in series so in that case when you let off of the button you remove the power from the door bell and it stops. Newer ones need the power wired to the door bell 24/7 , the switch is then wired straight to the door bell .
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

One more thing check if the new one requires DC or AC power . If DC then the diode may work.