Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Doorbell chime

On Fri, 8 Mar 2019 16:08:32 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 3/8/2019 3:44 PM, Swapad wrote:
I had a doorbell with a digital chime . I replaced the doorbell with a
SimpliSafe video Doorbell . The new doorbell was not chiming the full tune
unless the doorbell switch is kept pressed. I researched online and
found that
a diode across the doorbell switch terminal is to be provided to get the
full
tune in one push of the switch. I checked the old doorbell switch and there
was indeed a diode (IN400. I took out the diode from the old door bell and
fitted across the new doorbell switch. The new doorbell switch now does not
chime at all. I removed the switch and just connect the terminal with a
wire
across the diode. Still no chiming. I did the whole thing reversing the
terminal of the diode without any result. I took out the diode , and fitted
the new doorbell again, and it works as before , i.e chime only a part when
the switch is kept pressed.* I talked with SimpliSafe. They told the
doorbell is not compatible with digital doorbell. Any suggestion about
how to make the
doorbell work properly, i.e to play the full tune with one push of the
doorbell switch.

Change the doorbell to one that is compatible. Sure, you can get the
existing one to work with a couple of relays. diodes, or whatever, but
it can be a PITA.

Alternative: Keep the old button, add the new button, then put a sign,
please push both buttons.

get a dpst relay. Operate the relay with the switch. Diode across one
set of contacts for the bell, not across the contacts for the video.

Really a simple installation