Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...c-1185856-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 00:14:02 GMT, Edgar
m wrote:

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Put the railing on the knee-wall side with required spindles.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Put the railing on the knee-wall side with required spindles.

Pic:

http://www.abqstair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ABQ_Stair_Free_Standing_1.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/7/19 7:14 PM, Edgar wrote:
I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
andÂ*Â* nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Stairs need at least a 36" tall barrier on each side plus a handrail on one side.
Or you could give the inspector a few Benjamins to take off their glasses during the inspection.

Handrail on stairs F[_2_] UK diy 12 September 13th 13 07:01 PM
Need help building knee wall desgnr[_2_] Home Repair 4 May 17th 10 01:09 PM
Cabinet in side wall of stairs the_tool_man Home Repair 8 March 18th 09 11:39 PM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM