Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Need help building knee wall

I want to add a knee wall to an existing opening between my Dining room &
Kitchen.
How can i cut the Corner Bead on the existing opening from the height of my
kneewall ( 42" ) to the
floor ? I won't be able to see where the screws holding the corner bead
are.

--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 16, 8:04*am, "desgnr" wrote:
I want to add a knee wall to an existing opening between my Dining room &
Kitchen.
*How can i cut the Corner Bead on the existing opening from the height of my
kneewall ( 42" ) to the
floor ? * *I won't be able to see where the screws holding the corner bead
are.

Cut the bead, then start pulling off the unwanted piece. The screws
will show themselves.

Alternatively, run a magnet along the bead to find the screws. If the
bead is vinyl, the magnet will only grab at the screws, if the bead is
metal, the magnet will grab more strongly at the screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I want to add a knee wall to an existing opening between my Dining room &
Kitchen.
How can i cut the Corner Bead on the existing opening from the height of
my kneewall ( 42" ) to the
floor ? I won't be able to see where the screws holding the corner bead
are.

*Cut the bead with a hacksaw. It may not be attached with screws.
Sometimes nails are used and sometimes they are just hammered on with a tool
that crimps them. Don't worry about being neat. You are going to have to
tape the new joints anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"John Grabowski" wrote in message

I want to add a knee wall to an existing opening between my Dining room &
Kitchen.
How can i cut the Corner Bead on the existing opening from the height of
my kneewall ( 42" ) to the
floor ? I won't be able to see where the screws holding the corner
bead are.

*Cut the bead with a hacksaw. It may not be attached with screws.
Sometimes nails are used and sometimes they are just hammered on with a
tool that crimps them. Don't worry about being neat. You are going to
have to tape the new joints anyway.

Agreed...Though if it were me I would remove the whole bead..Bead is only a
couple of bucks and easy to finish...If it was crimped or nailed sparingly
it will probably crack anyway once you start messing with it...HTH...

Posted to alt.home.repair

When installing the frame should i use screws or lag bolts ?
The floor plate will only be attached to the sub floor ( 3/4" plywood )
There are no joists under it.
. ..