Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

Default Window Glass / knee wall code

We had a vaulted ceiling in our home and several years ago we put a
floor in to add an extra room area. It gave us about 120 square feet
of space in the home on the second floor. We knew at the time the
second floor window glass might need to be changed to tempered glass
for safety reasons.

With the floor finished, the knee wall and glass frame is about 9
inches tall from the floor. Some people I speak with say it should be
about 10 inches high and others say 18 inches to avoid the need for
tempered glass.

Now we are selling the house and want to make any glass change if we
have to, but only if necessary. The buyer's inspector will bring this
up in his report. The new buyer is getting their own glass people to
evaluate this matter and I would like other opinions.

I'm posting some pictures and the link, to show what I'm talking
about. I would appreciate any comments as to the knee wall / glass.

First floor Living Room ceiling:

http://www.oren.org/Del%20MIra%20Living%20Room.jpg

Second floor Loft with windows.

http://www.oren.org/Del%20Mira%20Loft.jpg

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim McLaughlin

What do / does the code enforcemen folks in your locality say is actually
_required_ reagarding the glass? What answer do you get at the permits
offce? You did pull a permit when you did the work, didn't you? You had
an engineer or architect go o do th plans for that floor so that its certain
that the floor is both strog enough and not pusing he supporting walls out,
right?

Didn't think so.

building inspecor

--
Jim McLaughlin

Reply address is deliberately munged.
If you really need to reply directly, try:
jimdotmclaughlinatcomcastdotcom

And you know it is a dotnet not a dotcom
address.
"Oren" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 09:23:36 -0700, Oren wrote:

[...]

I would find out how much it would cost to
replace the glass, and be prepared to lower
the price of the house by that much if the
buyer wants you to. (but don't mention
it unless asked.)

If I was buying the house, I'd be
wanting to change those windows
into arches, and therefore wouldn't
be interested in you spending money
to upgrade what's there.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 10:13:58 -0700, "Jim McLaughlin" jim.mclaughlin
wrote:

What do / does the code enforcemen folks in your locality say is actually
_required_ reagarding the glass? What answer do you get at the permits
offce? You did pull a permit when you did the work, didn't you? You had
an engineer or architect go o do th plans for that floor so that its certain
that the floor is both strog enough and not pusing he supporting walls out,
right?

Didn't think so.

building inspecor

No it is NOT permitted. The buyer is happy with the "documentation"
disclosed during the offer/counter. The were happy, so am I.

The floor is not a problem, period.

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:33:30 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

I'm posting some pictures and the link, to show what I'm talking
about. I would appreciate any comments as to the knee wall / glass.

First floor Living Room ceiling:

http://www.oren.org/Del%20MIra%20Living%20Room.jpg

Second floor Loft with windows.

http://www.oren.org/Del%20Mira%20Loft.jpg

I would find out how much it would cost to
replace the glass, and be prepared to lower
the price of the house by that much if the
buyer wants you to. (but don't mention
it unless asked.)

It's already a discussion and I am prepared for changing out the
glass. The buyer still needs to send the inspection report; stating
what they want fixed and the "tempered" glass will surely be the only
main concern for the sell.

If I was buying the house, I'd be
wanting to change those windows
into arches, and therefore wouldn't
be interested in you spending money
to upgrade what's there.

In fact we had planned (desired ) to have arched windows. We lived in
this house 11 years, but found a home that made us move.

I will mention to the buyer about the idea of arched windows, but
since they intend to rent the home I doubt they will make the change.
My only obligation will be to ensure the proper glass is in the
window.

Thanks,

Oren
excused from saving Universes."

Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG

I would require safety glazing if it were mine. The thought of
kids sliding on that shiny wood floor in their stocking feet and
sliding right into or through one of those windows would keep me
awake at night.

I think code will require it also, though the AHJ will make the
final determination. Reference this site:
http://www.glazingcodes.org/glazingi...tingglass.html

here are some quotes:

a.. Glazing in an individual fixed or operable panel where the
exposed area of an individual pane is greater than 9 square feet
and the exposed bottom edge is less than 18 inches above the
floor, the exposed top edge is greater than 36 inches above the
floor, and one or more walking surface(s) are within 36 inches
horizontally of the plane of the glazing. Exceptions include a
panel with a protective bar (1-1/2 inches or more in height and
capable of withstanding a horizontal load of 50 pounds per linear
foot without contacting the glass installed on the accessible
sides of the glazing 34 inches to 38 inches above the floor), and
an outboard pane in insulating glass units or multiple glazing
where the bottom exposed edge of the glass is 25 feet or more
above any grade, roof, walking surface of other horizontal or
sloped surface adjacent to the glass interior.

a.. Glazing adjacent to stairways, landings and ramps when it is
within 36 inches horizontally of a walking surface, within 60
inches horizontally of a bottom tread of a stairway in any
direction, and the bottom edge is less than 60 inches above the
plane of the adjacent walking surface (or stairway, measured from
the nose of the tread).

Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

Windows [email protected] Home Repair 7 January 21st 06 01:06 PM
lead framed window glass asalcedo UK diy 8 November 5th 05 12:17 PM
Window Frame to Wall Sealant Frank UK diy 3 April 14th 05 10:50 AM
Repairing home in Pennsylvania BS! TOM KAN PA Home Repair 7 May 12th 04 03:06 PM
Question on glass partition wall of shower unit. oktokie Home Repair 2 February 13th 04 06:31 AM