Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Handrail on stairs

I need to install a handrail on some fairly steep stairs with treads
that are not very deep back to front.

Is there a standard height above the treads at which a rail should be
fixed? And is there a preference for it to be on the left or right of
the stairs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 09:59, F wrote:
I need to install a handrail on some fairly steep stairs with treads
that are not very deep back to front.

Is there a standard height above the treads at which a rail should be
fixed?

Document K of the Building Regs specifies 800-1000mm vertically above
the pitch line (i.e. a line drawn along the noses of the steps)

And is there a preference for it to be on the left or right of
the stairs?

I prefer one each side, but, if only one, then on the right when going
down. That puts my stronger hand on the rail in the more dangerous
direction. Others may have different ideas, particularly left handers.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 11:15 Nightjar wrote:

On 13/09/2013 09:59, F wrote:
I need to install a handrail on some fairly steep stairs with treads
that are not very deep back to front.

Is there a standard height above the treads at which a rail should be
fixed?

Document K of the Building Regs specifies 800-1000mm vertically above
the pitch line (i.e. a line drawn along the noses of the steps)

Thanks: couldn't be clearer!

And is there a preference for it to be on the left or right of
the stairs?

I prefer one each side, but, if only one, then on the right when going
down. That puts my stronger hand on the rail in the more dangerous
direction.

That makes good sense.

Others may have different ideas, particularly left handers.

True, but the stairs are a little too narrow for one each side so
someone has to lose out...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 09:59, F wrote:
I need to install a handrail on some fairly steep stairs with treads
that are not very deep back to front.

Is there a standard height above the treads at which a rail should be
fixed?

Document K of the Building Regs specifies 800-1000mm vertically above
the pitch line (i.e. a line drawn along the noses of the steps)

Thanks: couldn't be clearer!

And is there a preference for it to be on the left or right of
the stairs?

I prefer one each side, but, if only one, then on the right when going
down. That puts my stronger hand on the rail in the more dangerous
direction.

That makes good sense.

Others may have different ideas, particularly left handers.

True, but the stairs are a little too narrow for one each side so
someone has to lose out...

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides of
very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 12:39, bm wrote:

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides
of very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Did he go up and down on his hands and knees?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, September 13, 2013 2:59:47 PM UTC+1, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/09/2013 12:39, bm wrote:

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides

of very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Did he go up and down on his hands and knees?

--

Sounds like it.
How steep were the stairs ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Next stage: a metal (stainless steel?) handrail is being requested. Any
pitfalls other than being cold to the touch? And any recommendations for
suppliers/manufacturers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 14:59, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/09/2013 12:39, bm wrote:

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides
of very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Did he go up and down on his hands and knees?

It all depends on how steep the stairs are. I have a set of retractable
stairs that used to provide access to the large loft area of my late
parents chalet bungalow and now gives me access to the loft area of my
barn. They are set at an angle of 60 degrees and the single handrail is
just 500mm above the nosing line.

FWIW the handrail is on the right facing the stairs. I suspect that the
manufacturers intent was for users to face the stairs both ascending and
descending. As far as I can remember my parents always did. I don't
bother but it is certainly a bit awkward going down the stairs even for
a leftie like me.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Next stage: a metal (stainless steel?) handrail is being requested. Any
pitfalls other than being cold to the touch? And any recommendations for
suppliers/manufacturers?

Depends on how pretty you want it.

I used Key Klamp at my MiL's house.

Yes, cold to touch is considered a problem under the DDA. Tape as used on
bicycle handlebars cures that problem.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message ...

On 13/09/2013 12:39, bm wrote:

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides
of very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Did he go up and down on his hands and knees?

no, but I also found'em very useful, he was 80. They must be the
steepest stairs I've seen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 16:16, charles wrote:
In article ,
F news@nowhere wrote:
Next stage: a metal (stainless steel?) handrail is being requested. Any
pitfalls other than being cold to the touch? And any recommendations for
suppliers/manufacturers?

Depends on how pretty you want it.

I used Key Klamp at my MiL's house.

Yes, cold to touch is considered a problem under the DDA. Tape as used on
bicycle handlebars cures that problem.

I used large diameter heat shrink sleeving, to give a seamless black
plastic finish, when I used it for extra hand rails in my late parents'
house.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2013 09:59, F wrote:
I need to install a handrail on some fairly steep stairs with treads
that are not very deep back to front.

Is there a standard height above the treads at which a rail should be
fixed?

Document K of the Building Regs specifies 800-1000mm vertically above
the pitch line (i.e. a line drawn along the noses of the steps)

And is there a preference for it to be on the left or right of
the stairs?

I prefer one each side, but, if only one, then on the right when going
down. That puts my stronger hand on the rail in the more dangerous
direction. Others may have different ideas, particularly left handers.

Colin Bignell

That seems sensible, but if I am carrying something it is more likely to
be in my right hand - leaving the left hand free to grab a handrail.

Of course, if there is only one handrail, it is very largely a matter of
luck whether it is on the better side.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:

Next stage: a metal (stainless steel?) handrail is being requested. Any
pitfalls other than being cold to the touch? And any recommendations for
suppliers/manufacturers?

I'm currently looking at q-railings (.co.uk I think) for a stainless
handrail and glass balustrade, you have to register for a trade account
to see pricing which takes a day or two ... there seem to be plenty of
fabricators doing bespoke work on eBay based on their hardware

Handrail gama Home Repair 4 September 21st 12 07:54 PM
Interesting Stairs - stairs.jpg (0/1) Buddy[_5_] Woodworking Plans and Photos 16 August 18th 12 05:53 AM
Handrail VisionSet UK diy 1 September 25th 06 04:38 AM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM