Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Chapman Roger Chapman is offline

Default Handrail on stairs

On 13/09/2013 14:59, Roger Mills wrote:
On 13/09/2013 12:39, bm wrote:

I've mentioned it before but, my old chap had extra rails on both sides
of very steep stairs, maybe 300mm above the "noses".

Did he go up and down on his hands and knees?

It all depends on how steep the stairs are. I have a set of retractable
stairs that used to provide access to the large loft area of my late
parents chalet bungalow and now gives me access to the loft area of my
barn. They are set at an angle of 60 degrees and the single handrail is
just 500mm above the nosing line.

FWIW the handrail is on the right facing the stairs. I suspect that the
manufacturers intent was for users to face the stairs both ascending and
descending. As far as I can remember my parents always did. I don't
bother but it is certainly a bit awkward going down the stairs even for
a leftie like me.

--
Roger Chapman