Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Handrail

Replacing handrail on interior of home. The existing handrail ends are
rounded off. I'd like to round over/off the 3 rails I'm putting up. They
didn't make any returns on the existing, I'd like to do the same.

What's the best sander to use on ends? Just want them knocked down far
enough where as there are no sharp edges.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:11:12 -0400, "gama" wrote:

Replacing handrail on interior of home. The existing handrail ends are
rounded off. I'd like to round over/off the 3 rails I'm putting up. They
didn't make any returns on the existing, I'd like to do the same.

What's the best sander to use on ends? Just want them knocked down far
enough where as there are no sharp edges.

Thanks

The best sander for the job is the one you own. I have a couple of
ROS (random orbital sander) that I'd use, or a belt if it was a lot
to remove. Not a big enough job to justify buying a new tool.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:11:12 -0400, "gama" wrote:

What's the best sander to use on ends? Just want them knocked down far
enough where as there are no sharp edges.

Orbital sander. 60 grit paper -- then a finish grit.

You could get by with a set of wood files, wood rasps and sand paper.

Thanks

Anytime...
Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Sep 17, 5:10*pm, "gama" wrote:
Replacing handrail on interior of home. The existing handrail ends are
rounded off. I'd like to round over/off the 3 rails I'm putting up. They
didn't make any returns on the existing, I'd like to do the same.

What's the best sander to use on ends? Just want them knocked down far
enough where as there are no sharp edges.

Thanks

Check your building codes to learn what constitutes a proper handrail
termination. Rounded ends are OK when out in the open, but against
structure, a 'return' to a vertical surface is often required.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Sep 2012 11:21:30 -0700 (PDT), Joe wrote:

Check your building codes to learn what constitutes a proper handrail
termination. Rounded ends are OK when out in the open, but against
structure, a 'return' to a vertical surface is often required.

+1

A return may be required.

Handrail convention? The Medway Handyman UK diy 25 November 26th 12 10:21 AM
Terminating a HandRail sid Home Repair 6 January 11th 10 12:26 AM
Handrail Joint David Woodworking 11 February 12th 07 02:27 AM
Handrail VisionSet UK diy 1 September 25th 06 04:38 AM
Handrail baseplates Jonathan@Home UK diy 1 July 15th 03 11:52 AM