Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Handrail convention?

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side open
with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90% of
people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Central stairway, walls both sides...Mines on the left going down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:42:50 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm about to put handrails either side of an enclosed staircase, though
admittedly this is a special case since it's one of those "spacesaver"
stairs, with half-steps ( http://tinyurl.com/cu63mt3 ) which require extra
safety measures, especially on the way down. But even on a conventional
stairway I'd fit a rail each side if the space was available - and a
handrail doesn't need to extend all that far from the wall to be useful.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

That's what we've done - amazing what a difference it makes as the years
advance.
--
hugh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine :
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

ITYM put one on *each* side. :-)

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

The house in which I lived as a kid about 60 years ago had walls both
sides of the staircase, with the rail on the left when going up.

If you're right-handed, this means that you can carry a heavy suitcase
in your right hand when going up - whilst steadying yourself with your
left hand on the rail. Not quite so good when coming down!

I don't think it really matters - each has advantages and disadvantages.
It's often dictated by the structure anyway - because it's not that
common to have walls both sides.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying
something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the
handrail.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine :
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

ITYM put one on *each* side. :-)

Pedant!

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

I'd agree with this, especially for when old age kicks in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying
something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the
handrail.

Well I'm currently nursing a smashed humerus in my left
(non-drinking!) arm. When I'm sober I don't need a handrail, but I can
see where dual handrails could be of considerable use in differing
circumstances.

Any handrail (or none) must be better than the idea of a Stannah...:-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying
something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the
handrail.

Well I'm currently nursing a smashed humerus in my left
(non-drinking!) arm. When I'm sober I don't need a handrail, but I can
see where dual handrails could be of considerable use in differing
circumstances.

Any handrail (or none) must be better than the idea of a Stannah...:-)

My mother had a stairlift, they're fine if you keep a calendar/diary of when
you need to pee. Even worse with us blokes and prostates.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:55:33 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:
The house in which I lived as a kid about 60 years ago had walls both
sides of the staircase, with the rail on the left when going up.

Ours is a shade over 60 years old and has never had handrails fitted. To
tie in with the "Women and DIY" thread, I've had new oak rails sitting in
the basement for well over a year now, waiting for me to get the tuits
together and fit them :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

That's what he's asking - but which side?
I've got one on each side - much better.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Frank Erskine :
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 21:24:06 +0100, Mike Barnes

Frank Erskine :
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

ITYM put one on *each* side. :-)

Pedant!

Guilty.

Things seem to come in phases and currently I'm being besieged by
nonsense of the USE BOTH DOORS variety.

Not to mention all those "naked pictures" in the news.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message om, brass
monkey writes

.. .
wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

Put one on either side, for versatility.

I'd agree with this, especially for when old age kicks in.

And additions to the family who need to be carried safely both up and
down.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bert
Coules writes
I'm about to put handrails either side of an enclosed staircase, though
admittedly this is a special case since it's one of those "spacesaver"
stairs, with half-steps ( http://tinyurl.com/cu63mt3 ) which require
extra safety measures, especially on the way down. But even on a
conventional stairway I'd fit a rail each side if the space was
available - and a handrail doesn't need to extend all that far from the
wall to be useful.

I have just had some exposure to one of those. (holiday cottage). Too
narrow for more than one hand rail. I had to come down backwards.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Aug, 19:42, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? *I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

unlerss you are carrying something w yr right hand?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article om,
brass monkey wrote:
Put one on either side, for versatility.

I'd agree with this, especially for when old age kicks in.

That's one of the things a council does when providing facilities for the
infirm.

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 23:57:06 +0100, Frank Erskine
wrote:

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying
something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the
handrail.

Well I'm currently nursing a smashed humerus in my left
(non-drinking!) arm. When I'm sober I don't need a handrail, but I can
see where dual handrails could be of considerable use in differing
circumstances.

I do have another rail, salvaged from elsewhere, I've been meaning to
fit on the other side. Round tuit, it is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 00:02:57 +0100, "brass monkey" wrote:

My mother had a stairlift, they're fine if you keep a calendar/diary of when
you need to pee. Even worse with us blokes and prostates.

That's what buckets are for.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

I have just had some exposure to one of those. (holiday cottage). Too
narrow for more than one hand rail. I had to come down backwards.

That's what I've been doing up to now (and might well continue to do once
the handrails are up). The interesting (well, to me, at least) question is
"what height above the treads should the handrails be?" since instinct
appears to suggest that the natural and ideal going-up height is
considerably less than the natural and ideal coming-down measurement. It
might be that I end up fitting two rails on each side...

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:

I have just had some exposure to one of those. (holiday cottage). Too
narrow for more than one hand rail. I had to come down backwards.

That's what I've been doing up to now (and might well continue to do once
the handrails are up). The interesting (well, to me, at least) question
is "what height above the treads should the handrails be?" since instinct
appears to suggest that the natural and ideal going-up height is
considerably less than the natural and ideal coming-down measurement. It
might be that I end up fitting two rails on each side...

My Dad did that, the "up" rails were only just above the treads, god knows
what height the others were.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote:

My Dad did that, the "up" rails were only just above the treads, god knows
what height the others were.

That's interesting, thanks. My experiments so far agree with your Dad's
placement of the "up" rails and suggest that the "down" rails should be at
much the same height as the rails on a conventional staircase.

Bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

if it is single width stairwell then one hand rail either side. ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 16:01:57 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Is there an 'accepted' side on which to fit a handrail to stairs? I'm
talking about a stairway with a wall both side, rather than one side
open with a bannister rail.

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

Any thoughts?

if it is single width stairwell then one hand rail either side. ....

That's the most common case - one only. I've never actually noticed which
side is preponderant.

Mine's single width (but not too narrow) and has a rail on each side. There
was just one on the R going up and the second one was fitted for my father
when he became wobbly.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

480 wiring convention Karl Townsend Metalworking 20 July 2nd 11 04:07 AM
Convention Schedule [email protected] Home Repair 1 January 3rd 08 05:26 PM
Handrail VisionSet UK diy 1 September 25th 06 04:38 AM
Did I pay too much for a steel handrail John Sanders Metalworking 24 April 27th 04 01:52 AM
Wiring Convention? Andy UK diy 6 July 15th 03 02:51 PM