Andy

Default Wiring Convention?

Might be a silly question this but is there a standard convention
concerning the routing of wires in a house? I would like info
specifically on light switches; so if I am looking at a light switch
in my lounge, would the wires go straight up, straight down or what?
Are the upstairs switches different? My house has a concrete floor so
the wiring cannot go under the floorboards - don't know if that makes
a difference or not.

The reason I ask is that I need to do some drilling and although I
will use a cable detector first, I would like to avoid any obvious
pitfalls.

Many thanx,

Andy.
Owain

"Andy" wrote
| Might be a silly question this but is there a standard convention
| concerning the routing of wires in a house?

Yes. But don't rely on it :-)

| I would like info specifically on light switches; so if I am looking
| at a light switch in my lounge, would the wires go straight up,
| straight down or what?

Wires may be run

horizontal or vertical from an accessory
or
within 150 mm of the top (but not the bottom) of a wall
or
within 150 mm of the angle formed by two adjoining walls

Cables may be run diagonally but must then be protected eg being in conduit
or having an earthed metal sheath eg mineral insulated cable.

Owain

Martin Angove

In message ,
"Owain" wrote:

"Andy" wrote
| Might be a silly question this but is there a standard convention
| concerning the routing of wires in a house?

Yes. But don't rely on it :-)

| I would like info specifically on light switches; so if I am looking
| at a light switch in my lounge, would the wires go straight up,
| straight down or what?

Wires may be run

horizontal or vertical from an accessory
or
within 150 mm of the top (but not the bottom) of a wall
or
within 150 mm of the angle formed by two adjoining walls

Cables may be run diagonally but must then be protected eg being in conduit
or having an earthed metal sheath eg mineral insulated cable.

Owain

Or at least, they *should* do (On Site Guide fig 7.3.2 p53). Don't take
it for granted that they actually do, especially if any previous owner
has done work on the system.

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley -- http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html

David

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Andy" wrote
| Might be a silly question this but is there a standard convention
| concerning the routing of wires in a house?

Yes. But don't rely on it :-)

| I would like info specifically on light switches; so if I am looking
| at a light switch in my lounge, would the wires go straight up,
| straight down or what?

Wires may be run

horizontal or vertical from an accessory
or
within 150 mm of the top (but not the bottom) of a wall
or
within 150 mm of the angle formed by two adjoining walls

Cables may be run diagonally but must then be protected eg being in conduit
or having an earthed metal sheath eg mineral insulated cable.

Owain

Can anyone tell me the reasoning for this? I can understand no
diagonals unless shielded, but is it just so people can make an
educated guess about where the wires are?

And also, why not in the bottom 150mm? Is it to protect against
flooding?? If so, I would have though you would be in enough trouble
anyway if the water got even close to there and the cables were run
under the floorboards!!

David.
Martin Angove

In message ,
(David) wrote:

"Owain" wrote in message ...
"Andy" wrote
| Might be a silly question this but is there a standard convention
| concerning the routing of wires in a house?

Yes. But don't rely on it :-)

| I would like info specifically on light switches; so if I am looking
| at a light switch in my lounge, would the wires go straight up,
| straight down or what?

Wires may be run

horizontal or vertical from an accessory
or
within 150 mm of the top (but not the bottom) of a wall
or
within 150 mm of the angle formed by two adjoining walls

Cables may be run diagonally but must then be protected eg being in conduit
or having an earthed metal sheath eg mineral insulated cable.

Owain

Can anyone tell me the reasoning for this? I can understand no
diagonals unless shielded, but is it just so people can make an
educated guess about where the wires are?

Probably. I think there used to be a requirement to protect all cables
buried in plaster, but now, so long as you stay within the guidelines
you can bury them "bare".

And also, why not in the bottom 150mm? Is it to protect against
flooding?? If so, I would have though you would be in enough trouble
anyway if the water got even close to there and the cables were run
under the floorboards!!

Probably to avoid skirting board nails being hammered through your ring
main every 3 ft. :-)

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove (it's Cornish for "Smith") - ARM/Digital SA110 RPC
See the Aber Valley --
http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/abervalley.html
.... Psychoceramics: The study of crackpots.

Wiring a timer fan Nearly Done! UK diy 3 July 14th 03 09:50 PM
Leaving a Honeywell CH valve energised, wiring choices Toby UK diy 1 July 14th 03 06:20 PM
Electrical Wiring Grouping Factors in IEE Regs pickerel UK diy 5 July 14th 03 01:26 AM
Ceiling rose wiring old house Driving me mad arr Toby UK diy 1 July 9th 03 03:20 PM
Wiring into a doenstairs toilet. [email protected] UK diy 7 July 3rd 03 06:59 PM