Default Wiring into a doenstairs toilet.

Simon wrote:
Not quite the 2 metres I thought it was :-/
still ..... my common sense still screams out about the risk of someone
dropping an appliance into the sink, and I would always avoid putting a

What particular risk is there if an (electrical) appliance is dropped
into the sink?

It's a bit like the classic horror/crime film where the baddie
threatens to throw an electric fire into the bath - in my opinion the
thrower of the fire is much more likely to be electrocuted than
someone in the bath.

--
Chris Green )
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Andrew McKay wrote:
What particular risk is there if an (electrical) appliance is dropped
into the sink?

I'm guessing.

Presumably the moist human body might be a better conductor than
direct water - we are after all referred to as "carbon life forms",
and as far as I can recall carbon is a good conductor.

If the sink is metal and earthed, wouldn't the electricity take the
easiest route to earth?

To be perfectly honest I'm in no hurry to test this theory.

Absolutely. Mind you, I've often thought the idea of having a near
perfect earth in the shape of a metal sink near to anything electrical you
can touch at the same time slightly suspect. This is the *last* thing you
do with a workbench where electrical equipment is tested etc.

--
*A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
RichardS

"Andrew McKay" wrote :

snip

Presumably the moist human body might be a better conductor than
direct water - we are after all referred to as "carbon life forms",
and as far as I can recall carbon is a good conductor.

snip

That's highly flawed reasoning....

Carbon may well be a conductor in it's elemental form, but not in the
majority of it's compounds.

Polythene, nylon, etc spring to mind.

We do conduct electricity, but certainly not for the reason that you
mention.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson

email me at
richard at olifant d-ot co do-t uk

Christian McArdle

But I *still* don't see how this relates to the danger of dropping an
electrical appliance in the sink. Unless you keep hold of it as it
drops in the water, and even then it doesn't seem to be a particularly
dangerous thing to do.

People should stop worrying about it. Just install an RCD and there won't be
a problem. It's unlikely to be a problem anyway. A quick jolt followed by
"duh, that was a stupid thing to do".

Christian.

Simon

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
But I *still* don't see how this relates to the danger of dropping an
electrical appliance in the sink. Unless you keep hold of it as it
drops in the water, and even then it doesn't seem to be a particularly
dangerous thing to do.

People should stop worrying about it. Just install an RCD and there won't

be
a problem. It's unlikely to be a problem anyway. A quick jolt followed by
"duh, that was a stupid thing to do".

Christian.

Don't know about you, but the majority of homes i used to work in still had
replaceable wire type fuses. I am still not going to test the theory, OR
trust others who have passed before me's work with my health. As was stated
earlier in this thread, there is a question whether or not to bond sinks, I
wouldn't want to risk coming across the plumber who'd made the decision not
to bond and have the chance of having mains electricity deciding to earth
through my body, you are welcome to try though christian, but it would be a
stupid thing to do and anyone that doubts that is welcome to try ;-)

Simon

wrote in message
Simon wrote:
Not quite the 2 metres I thought it was :-/
still ..... my common sense still screams out about the risk of someone
dropping an appliance into the sink, and I would always avoid putting a

What particular risk is there if an (electrical) appliance is dropped
into the sink?

It's a bit like the classic horror/crime film where the baddie
threatens to throw an electric fire into the bath - in my opinion the
thrower of the fire is much more likely to be electrocuted than
someone in the bath.

--
Chris Green )

give it a go and let me know how it feels