Posted to uk.d-i-y
brass monkey brass monkey is offline

Default Handrail convention?

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 22:42:13 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 19:42:50 +0100, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

My logic is to fit it on the left, so the dominant hand (right with 90%
of people) is holding on when descending.

I'd fit it to the left going down - as I have done. If you're carrying
something in your right hand, all the left has to do is run along the
handrail.

Well I'm currently nursing a smashed humerus in my left
(non-drinking!) arm. When I'm sober I don't need a handrail, but I can
see where dual handrails could be of considerable use in differing
circumstances.

Any handrail (or none) must be better than the idea of a Stannah...:-)

My mother had a stairlift, they're fine if you keep a calendar/diary of when
you need to pee. Even worse with us blokes and prostates.