Posted to uk.d-i-y
brass monkey brass monkey is offline

Default Handrail convention?

"Bert Coules" wrote in message
Tim Lamb wrote:

I have just had some exposure to one of those. (holiday cottage). Too
narrow for more than one hand rail. I had to come down backwards.

That's what I've been doing up to now (and might well continue to do once
the handrails are up). The interesting (well, to me, at least) question
is "what height above the treads should the handrails be?" since instinct
appears to suggest that the natural and ideal going-up height is
considerably less than the natural and ideal coming-down measurement. It
might be that I end up fitting two rails on each side...

My Dad did that, the "up" rails were only just above the treads, god knows
what height the others were.