DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/630850-handrail-stairs-knee-wall-do-i-need-open-side-closed.html)

Edgar[_5_] February 8th 19 12:14 AM

Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...c-1185856-.htm

Clare Snyder February 8th 19 01:37 AM

Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 00:14:02 GMT, Edgar
m wrote:

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Put the railing on the knee-wall side with required spindles.

Oren[_2_] February 8th 19 02:37 AM

Handrail in stairs with knee wall. Do I need the open side closed?

om wrote:

I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
and nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Put the railing on the knee-wall side with required spindles.

Pic:

http://www.abqstair.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/ABQ_Stair_Free_Standing_1.jpg

Easy Cash-Werks February 8th 19 11:40 AM

On 2/7/19 7:14 PM, Edgar wrote:
I would like to know if installing a handrail on the closed side of the stairs
andÂ*Â* nothing on the knee wall is enough to pass a home inspection. Or do I
need to close the open side. Leave all safety aspects aside. I understand is
better to cover it, but because of running out of time will just having a
handrail pass inspection?? Thank you

Stairs need at least a 36" tall barrier on each side plus a handrail on one side.
Or you could give the inspector a few Benjamins to take off their glasses during the inspection.