Old February 5th 19, 08:17 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace filters

On 2/5/2019 9:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 2/5/2019 8:15 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 8:12:25 PM UTC-5, ChairMan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new
house has a
furnace and uses filters.┬* It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and
MERV 8
regardless of the brand?┬* Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?
We have no
pets.
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a
dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

As long as you replace frequently(max 30 days) my AC guy sez
it doesn't matter much. Just keep em clean

Why would anyone in a typical house replace a filter every 30 days?
Once a season, tops for me.┬* I frequently go a couple seasons because
they are not dirty.┬* If you live in a house with a bunch of pets
and/or other issues, even then I can't see 30 days.

Merv 13 vs 11, if the price is about the same, I'd get the better one.
But you also have to look at flow rate and be sure the higher efficiency
doesn't restrict the air flow too much.┬* The higher Merv filters are 4"
thick with deep pleats, to increase surface area to keep pressure drop
acceptable.

I'm going to see how it looks after 90 days.┬* Of course, filter makers
suggest that time so they sell you a filter 4 times a year.

The 4" makes sense, but there is only room for a 1" so I'll go with that.

That is obviously all you can do. My one inch filters are 1X16X20". I
change every 4 months unless there is a long spell with no need for heat
and AC. Filter may not appear to be very dirty but a little sediment
could reduce through put considerably.
Old February 6th 19, 07:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 2/4/2019 7:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a
furnace and uses filters.* It takes a 1" filter.

I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardless
of the brand?* Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?* We have no pets.

I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?

Discount filters seems cheapest.

I use air filters and had never heard the term MERV so looked up your
question:

https://airexpertsnj.com/knowledge/e...erv-11-filters

Prompted me to look at the filters I'm using and now see that they are
MERV 11. Don't know about price difference but sometimes filter may
collapse somewhat and more expensive filter might be sturdier.

I am no filter expert but IIRC if the MERV number is increased then possibly
the blower motor can overload. Research the info on your system to determine
the suitability.

--
Tekkie

Old February 6th 19, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Tekkie=AE?= writes:
Frank posted for all of us...

=20
On 2/4/2019 7:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
For the first time in 53 years of owning homes, my new house has a=20
furnace and uses filters.=A0 It takes a 1" filter.
=20
I see prices can vary considerably but is a MERV 8 and MERV 8 regardles=

s=20
of the brand?=A0 Should I use MERV 8 or MERV 11?=A0 We have no pets.
=20
I see filters with MERV 11 rating from $9.95 ($7.45ea by a dozen) to=20
$14.50. Any real difference if they have the same rating?
=20
Discount filters seems cheapest.

=20
I use air filters and had never heard the term MERV so looked up your=20
question:
=20
https://airexpertsnj.com/knowledge/e...nce-between-m=

erv-8-and-merv-11-filters
=20
Prompted me to look at the filters I'm using and now see that they are=20
MERV 11. Don't know about price difference but sometimes filter may=20
collapse somewhat and more expensive filter might be sturdier.

I am no filter expert but IIRC if the MERV number is increased then possibl=
y=20
the blower motor can overload. Research the info on your system to determin=
e=20
the suitability.

A dirty filter:

1) Reduces the airflow available to the heat exchanger. This could result
in the high-limit switch opening, which will increase the cycle time
(and blow colder air util the high-limit switch closes after the heat
exchanger cools sufficiently, rinse and repeat).

2) Causes the blower to work harder, which consumes additional power and
prematurely ages the blower.
Old February 6th 19, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 14:02:53 -0500, Tekkie« wrote:

[...]

Restricting airflow does NOT overload a blower motor. Restricted
filters restrict the amount of air moved REDUCING load on the blower
motor. Youknew that and forgot - right "tekkie"?
Old February 7th 19, 04:49 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Right.
Replace filters when they get dirty.
Old February 11th 19, 01:39 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, February 6, 2019 at 3:16:22 PM UTC-5, Scott Lurndal wrote:
A dirty filter:

1) Reduces the airflow available to the heat exchanger. This could result
in the high-limit switch opening, which will increase the cycle time
(and blow colder air util the high-limit switch closes after the heat
exchanger cools sufficiently, rinse and repeat).

2) Causes the blower to work harder, which consumes additional power and
prematurely ages the blower.

A dirty filter does a couple of things.

It reduces air flow, perhaps very slightly to a lot.

It increases the efficiency of filtration. Dirty filters catch more dirt and work better, up to the point where reduced air flow becomes a problem.

If you reduce airflow enough, you might have coil freezeups or other problems. Residential systems tend to need a steady airflow across the coil, balanced to the temperature and the amount of charge. The old ones aren't intelligent enough to adjust, I dunno about more recent ones.

If your filter is dirty enough, theoretically it might rupture and spill unfiltered air into the equipment. The purpose of a filter is mainly to protect the equipment, not the humans. I haven't seen this happen in a residential system but I have in a commercial one. So I don't know if that's really a problem in a house.

I change my filter when I hear the sound in the return increase. That's probably about 3 months or so, I don't keep track. I just cleaned my refrigerator coils last night, they were caked with dust. (I have that stupid double A coil setup, where you can only reach the outer two rows.)